We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Hi,

So, where's the best place to get really good barbecue in Sedona?

Thanks,

Mark

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Hog Wild at the "Y" in Sedona or in Uptown Sedona, I can't remember the name of the place on Jordan Street. It's been there for a very long time, funky old west place. Both are good.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

I agree about Hog Wild, but if you happen to be in the Cottonwood area (like on your way to or from Jerome, or the VVRR, or Out of Africa) the Hog Wild in Old Town Cottonwood is even better than the one in Sedona. The original store is there with original owners. I'm not knocking the franchisee at the Y, but he's paying higher rent and his prices are slightly higher than the Cottonwood store. Try the grilled pork chop.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Not to divert the subject, but is the barbecue there really that good?

I've had really bad experiences with most every restaurant calling itself "barbecue" in the state. Tucson seems to be the worst. But the whole thing has driven me to waiting until I go to Texas to get "the real stuff". There was a good place in Tempe open for a while, but they were closed the last time I tried to go.

But if there's one in Sedona that truly can measure up, then I feel like I really need to try it because I've yet to find anything.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

colinaz, It ain't Texas, but it's pretty good!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

I looked at the menu, sounds great to me, but I love pork bbq. My chef husband says the sauce they mention, Sweet Baby Rays (which I love), is more a Memphis Sauce, a sweet & spicy sauce. With the main focus on pork on this menu, a Texas BBQ fan may not love it as much!!!!

On my list now for our next trip to AZ!!! Can't wait!

Burlington...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Thanks for the heads-up on Hog Wild, it's definitely on the list. I'll even head out to Cottonwood.

So is that pretty much it for good barbecue in the area? I was kinda hoping for more :)

Mark

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Sedona isn't really a barbeque kind of town. We have a little bit of everything, to accomodate the wide range of visitors that we see here. And thankfully, for a small town, we have plenty of restaurants that are more upscale and better than what you might otherwise find in a town with only 10,000 residents. The most populat food style and the one that exhibits the best local fare is what we call 'high desert' cuisine. The Cowboy Club, does an excellent job with this, as does Walt's Southwest, but there are plenty more.

Burlington...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

SedonaMTB: Was the place on Jordan Ave called Sally's Mesquite Grill & BBQ ? (stumbled on it through google)

Anyone know of the place who can offer an opinion?

Thanks,

mark

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

The place on Jordan Rd has had several names in the past few years. It enjoys a great location, but somehow, nobody likes to own it for too long. I'm not sure what it is called now.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
8 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Barbecue in the Sedona area?

Just got back from beautiful Sedona. We are wild about Hog Wild! I have three teenage guys who would have eaten there everyday. The portions are large and the food is great--BBQ pulled pork sandwich is really big and really good. Get the garlic fries for 50 cents more. The place isn't fancy and there's pictures of adorable pigs on every wall--my sons had great fun teasing me "the animal lover" about what I was eating! The second time we ate there, I chose the red rock view instead of the piglets! Both times we were ate there the owner came to check how we were enjoying our meal--very friendly-very casual. I'll be rating it a 5! Have fun!