We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on Sedona

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help on Sedona

My family 2 adults and two girls (ages 12 and 14) want to go to Sedona for five nights in November. Being from NJ we have no clue about the area and I was hoping to get some advice. Sedona has always been a place I want to visit, but if we could couple it with another scenic site such as the GC then that would be stellar.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated such as what city to go to maybe drive up to the GC, all the posts are wonderful... I know about the GC (eastern entrance) and the pink jeep tours ( in sedona) but a plan of "attack" would be sooooo helpful.

Thanks clueless in jersery.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
301 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on Sedona

A day trip is possible from Sedona although it will be a long day. IF THIS WAS MY TRIP AND IF I COULD AFFORD IT, I would go with a Sedona guide to the Canyon. I'm sure Redrox could help but the guide that keeps popping up as being wonderful is "something Marvin" I think. The rest of your trip certainly can be spent in Sedona doing the Pink Jeep tour, sightseeing, perhaps exploring some Indian ruins and you might like a day trip to Jerome--a recovering ghost town.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on Sedona

TrvlHawaii is on the right track. Stay in Sedona but plan at least one night at the GCNP in one of the lodges there. Get your reservations now. You can be flexible since you have a 5 day window. I do not recommend using a tour guide. You will be given all of the information you need when you enter the park. You can guide yourselves at your own pace, and see everything you could want to see from the east rim drive and west rim drive (all at GCNP South Rim) in 2 days.

As for the remaining 3-4 days in Sedona, you can gather enough info here from previous posts to egt ideas of what you want to do. Come back with specific questions if you have any. In other words, develop your own 'plan of attack' and we'll help you to fine tune it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on Sedona

Thanks for your input, I will look into the GC lodging and I will get back to you with more questions... I'm sure.

San Diego
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on Sedona

Hi, Just got back from Seonda, this was itierary. It is brief. We had a blast and LOVED Sedona. You will have soooo much fun. It's gorgeous and leaves you feeling really mellow.

Day 1: arrived at Adobe Grand Villas, ate at Cowboy Club -very good.

Day 2: Bell Rock hike in morning, slide rock afternoon, pink jeep tour in the evening (this was fantastic)

Day 3: Jerome (loved this town) for lunch. Haunted Hamburger. Cathedral Crossing/Red Rock Loop, sunset at Airport Road

Day 4: left for GC stopped at Garlands for exceptional indian jewelry.

Arrived at our Bright Angel Cabin and spent one night at rim. I only called a few weeks before to get a reservation, as they do get a lot of cancellations.

you will have so much fun!

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
211 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on Sedona

I would stay in sedona a night or two..the place is simply wonderful. Take a side tour to Montezumas castle and also to the "living ghost town" of Jerome set on the hillside. then take highway 89 A through oak creek canyon up towards Flagstaff and you can get on the route to the Canyon from there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on Sedona

We just arrived home a few hours ago. It was a great trip and we really enjoyed Sedona. Another fun place to visit is Out of Africa about 30 minutes from Sedona in Camp Verde. It was much more fun then we expected. Went from about 1 - 3:30pm. Open Weds.thru Sundays. They have a massive "feed" at 3pm every other day or so. We structured our trip by flying into Phoenix and driving to Grand Canyon National Park for 3 nights. It was plenty of time to hike and see all the points of interest. The next 4 nights we spent in Sedona. We stayed at the Best Western Arroyo Roble and thought it was great. We drove through Flagstaff and had lunch on Route 66 (got t shirts). Definitely drive via Oak Creek Canyon very beautiful drive. Favorite place to dine was Shugrues Hillside Grill for the most amazing views from the deck at sunset and the food was excellent. Have fun.

7. Re: Help on Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 07, 2009