We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

Me and my husband really wanted to do a hot air balloon ride. We never have done one and was really looking forward to it. My son is afraid of heights and is scared. My daughter just doesn't want to do one because her friend did one and didn't like it when she was 4. My kids are 13 and will be 12 when we go in August. Is it really that scary for kids. I don't want my kids to freak out. I just want some opinions from parents who have take their kids on one. Thanks for all your help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,823 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

If your kids have a fear of heights, then please don't force them to take a balloon flight! If you and your husband want to do it, then consider leaving the kids to sleep in while you go for the ride. The flights all launch early in the morning. They'll pick you up around 5AM and you'll be back in your room by 9-10. If you can trust the kids to wake up on their own and wait for you to come back to take them to breakfast, it might work out for everyone.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,482 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

I agree, don't force them. At 12 & 13 you could possibly leave them at the hotel and go on your ride as RedRox suggested.

If not, you have something to look forward to doing the next time you go to Sedona!

I enjoyed the one balloon ride I went on, but I am a stay on the earth kind of gal. I probably will never do it again.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

Meeko --

Tell your kids it's fine if they don't want to go -- you'll just get a babysitter for them and go on your way without them. Either they will say cool or they'll decide that it's better to go with you than to be left with a babysitter at their ages. Either way, your problem is solved. Your hotel will have a list of sitters they can recommend.

Do not miss out on your balloon ride. There is no law that says that parents can't have a life (or a vacation) because their children don't agree with the itinerary.

Have a great time.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

You don't want to traumatize them for life over a balloon ride. It is very scary for someone afraid of heights and... It could be very traumatic and I don't think you'd want to really frighten them or spend the whole balloon ride with them shaking in terror.... Your kids are at an age when they need to know that their parents are there for them and... you don't want to traumatize them. If they're not ready, they're not ready. Don't force them. These rides aren't for everyone. Maybe in five years they'll want to go with you but if you force them now, you could do real damage.

Austin
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

Hi Meeko! I agree with everybody here.

Respect your kids and their fears!

Leave them with a sitter while you go so you are not worried if anything arises or if you get back to the hotel later than expected.

Do not leave them all alone in a hotel (even for a few hours). Nothing will happen of course, but better safe than sorry don't you think?

Do not force them :( please don't take them with you :(

Ohio
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

We took a hot air balloon ride last August with our two daughters who were 12 and 14 at the time. The twelve year old wasn't at all sure about going. (and for the record, I am rather afraid of heights but I wanted to do it anyway) Before we even went up, she started to cry and I thought "Uh, oh". But the ascent is so slow and the whole ride was pretty sedate. She ended up being fine and didn't have a problem after her initial fear. She says now that she's glad she went. I didn't want to leave the girls alone so that is why we took them.

Something that helped me when we were up was trying to look more horizontally out of the balloon as opposed to always looking straight down.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

What an useful thread. My hubby and I are going to Sedona end of July; they both waht to do this but I am not happy about heights (but am tempted). I also get motion sickness. May try though!

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

While I know you and your husband might want to experience this together, maybe you can take turns? That way, one of you will be with the kids and the other can go on the ride. I agree with everyone else that it's too traumatic to force a child to face their fears...that's something we each need to do for ourselves (even kids). The other thing about doing it this way (taking turns) is that if anything happens, the kids will have one of their parents with them instead of a stranger or being alone in the hotel room.

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

How much is a ride and where do you go to hire one? I'm afraid of heights but do want to go (trying to face things that I fear...). Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,823 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help, My children don't want to do a hot air balloon

Homelessgirl,

Search Norhern Light in Sedona