We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescot worth it?

Ventura, California
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescot worth it?

How is the drive over the hill to Prescot from Jerome....is it worth the visit?

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
10 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,410 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescot worth it?

Tell us the entire context of your trip. Mingus Mtn is more than a ‘hill’.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescot worth it?

What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Once you pass the top of Mingus Mountain, you'll be driving through pine forest. This will change to grasslands as you descent into the Prescott area.

I might suggest a drive up the mountain for additional views of the Verde Valley and to witness the effects of the historic mining scars along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Mesa, az
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescot worth it?

The mountain between Prescott and Jerome is Mingus Mountain. A twisting drive with several switchbacks, the road rises to 7,000 feet before descending into Jerome which is at 5,000 feet. The scenery is interesting but not spectacular with a few really good views both coming and going. This is a well paved road, by the way, great for motorcycles as well as cars. Expect a temperature drop of about 3 degrees for each 1,000 feet of elevation. We just drove it again last weekend. Expect a fair amount of traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescot worth it?

I was recently on this road, going the other way. It was a wonderful drive, but I was a passenger. The driver was being cautious, and it ticked off at least one local. But better safe than sorry I suppose.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescot worth it?

Are you asking if the drive over is worth it OR. Are you asking if Prescott is worth A visit? I am not a fan of the drive but Prescott is a cute little town with several things to do including museums, lake, Whiskey Row , etc

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Whiskey Row
Whiskey Row
609 Reviews
Prescott, AZ
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescot worth it?

Are you asking if the drive over is worth it OR. Are you asking if Prescott is worth A visit? I am not a fan of the drive but Prescott is a cute little town with several things to do including museums, lake, Whiskey Row , etc

Edited: 1:31 pm, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Whiskey Row
Whiskey Row
609 Reviews
Prescott, AZ
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,239 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescot worth it?

We too really like the central Courthouse Square area of Prescott. Its really nice if you want to do some gallery/native art/antique shopping and to stop off for a good cup of coffee and bakery goods at the Wild Iris. There are also outdoor recreation ops near there as well. It is so nice and less expensive than Sedona...it has become a real popular retirement town for active adults.

Look over these links.

https:/… Gorgeous but quite a curvy road which takes more time than you may imagine. If you like you can connect to the I-17 to head back to Sedona instead of going over Mingus Mountain again. Use the 69/169 to get to the I-17. We often stay in Prescott Valley at the new Hampton & Suites there for our Prescott day...we often save nearly 100$ or more by doing that instead of a night right in Sedona.

http://www.visit-prescott.com

http://www.wildiriscoffee.com

https:/…courthouse-square-prescott

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31…

Edited: 2:32 pm, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescot worth it?

LovemyAcura...good question. I'll say that I only spent one night in Prescott, but I would have liked more time there. Sedona is beautiful and Jerome is fun, as is Phoenix and the immediate surroundings...but Prescott felt the most comfortable and homey of all the placed I visited during my whirlwind tour. I have no doubt that I'll be back.

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescot worth it?

I really like it. There are community events on weekends, a Farmer's Market on Saturdays with organic items and tasty prepared food. (Location varies by season.) The area around Courthouse Square has some interesting shops and vintage homes. The scenery is different from Sedona: granite rock formations and two lakes, for example.. But it snows more there in winter!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescot worth it?

The Sharlot Hall Museum complex is well worth the trip. Sadly part of the Museum was closed for renovations when we were there, but the rest was wonderful.

If driving over Mingus Mountain bothers you, there is a non-mountain way from Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Sharlot Hall Museum
Sharlot Hall Museum
534 Reviews
Prescott, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Reply to: Prescot worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted