We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early April weather

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Early April weather

Greetings, we will be spending 2 nights in GCNP and then 3 nights in Sedona, driving from Phoenix and back during the second week of April. I'm debating on spending a little extra on a convertible instead of a sedan or small SUV for the week. Is the weather generally still too chilly for the top down that time year?

Thank you for your help.

3 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,622 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Early April weather

Hard to say. Early April can be warm and sunny, or it can bring blizzards and snow. On nice days you might put the top down in Sedona, or inside the park at the Grand Canyon National Park. But you certainly won’t drive topless between Phoenix, Sedona and the GC. The high speed highways aren’t suitable for open top driving, even in the summer.

Disclaimer. MrsRedPony and I own two convertibles. We love the Arizona sun. But they’re really only practical at slow speeds.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,051 posts
773 reviews
2. Re: Early April weather

Agreeing, we too have our own convertibles and feel exactly as RedRox does. I don’t think I’d spend too much extra $ to rent one unless the top-down option is motorized and easy to work. Then if the weather is nice and on the warm side, the views can be open, free and fun.

Look at the Costco site to see if you can get better rental prices. Even if you are not members and have to pay a small fee, the prices usually are quite a bit lower than booking direct. And they use the same mainstream companies and same car options from the same lots.

https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars

Edited: 1:47 pm, December 14, 2017
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
3. Re: Early April weather

Thank you both, I certainly hope we don't encounter snow, we're trying to escape it! But I agree, I think we'll stick with a sedan this time.

Reply to: Early April weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted