We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternate route to sedona from phonenix

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
alternate route to sedona from phonenix

my wife and i are coming to sedona in a week and a half for a little getaway

i was wondering if a more round-about way of getting to sedona (going from phoenix east then north then back west towards sedona) is worth it in terms of the scenic driving and whatever else would be interesting going that way instead of the highway directly north to sedona. any comments? suggestions?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternate route to sedona from phonenix

Drive northeast from Phoenix on Hwy 87 toward Payson. Pretty country thru the mountains. Tonto Natural Bridge State Park is interesting and has some easy hiking trails. Then go west to Camp Verde, stopping at Montezuma Castle, ruins of early Native American cliff dwellings. From there cross I-17 and continue on toward Cottonwood, Jerome, (former mining community tucked up in the mountains--almost a ghost town), and Tuzigoot Natl Monument, then north on Hwy 89A.

We did this trip a couple of years ago in early November and found it fascinating.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Payson
Payson
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
2. Re: alternate route to sedona from phonenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:27 am, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sedona