We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for things to do

Fairbanks Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for things to do

Okay my husband, my son and I will be joining several other members of our family for a week long vacation in Sedona. We will have a large mixture of ages and an even larger mixture of physical fitness levels. The ages of the kids will range from 18 mos to 12yrs old. We've got our places booked so thankfully that's now out of the picture but now I'm looking at dining and activities.

Normally we'd love to do some shopping, visiting wineries, some hiking, trying the local cuisine, etc.

Because of how many we've got in our group (9 adults, 6 kids)though I think we're going to be looking for something that we will all enjoy.

Any suggestions? I'm open to any ideas as so far I'm the main person planning everything.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for things to do

I see you're new to Trip Advisor, so you probably haven't discovered all the helpful tools yet. If you click on the Attractions tab at the top or Attractions link in the table to the left, you'll get a really good list of the not-to-be-missed sites and activities. Likewise, you'll get a list of popular restaurants if you click on the Dining tab.

Another slick trick is the search box just above the post - see where it says "Search in ..." - there you can search key words. For example, you could type in Hike, and it'll give you a list of previous posts where people are discussing hikes and trails and such.

Good luck in planning!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for things to do

Think 'outdoors'. Sedona is all about getting outdoors to enjoy the natural beauty of the environment. This can be done in many ways. Obviously hiking is a free and easy way to do it and hiking options in Sedona range from simple level walks of a short distance to more challenging climbs. Biking is also an option with trails that can take you places faster than a walk and perhaps not accessible by car. There are jeep tours with entertaining and informative driver guides who can teach you about the history and lore of Sedona.

You'll want to explore Oak Creek Canyon. You'll enjoy shopping at Talaquepaque and Uptown. Sedona is a very popular tourist destination so we have loads of restaurants with all kinds of food and all kinds of price ranges.

Explore the pages here at TA as Wendymath suggested and then come back with specific questions. We'll all help you decide as long as you give us enough information.

Where are you staying? How many vehicles will you have?

GA
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for things to do

I would suggest you go to www,sedoanselfdrivetour.com and order the self driving tour CD and DVD.You got both and it doesn't cost that much.I bought one last year and glad I did it was very helpful the only thing is we didn't do all of it.Since you have a big group and young kids I would not do pink jeep tour cause that takes 2 hrs and no bathroom breaks thats why I would do the self driving tour

Fairbanks Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for things to do

We're going to be having (I think) 1 mid size car per family. 4 total. I have highly suggested to my husbands parents that they should consider a mid size at least in case some of the kids want to ride with them.

My husband, myself and I are in pretty good shape so I know we could go hiking with our son in a backpack and still have a great time. My husbands parents are not in very good shape at all (a slight incline makes them breathless) so I don't think alot of rough walking would be a good idea.

All of us families are staying in three 4 different resorts:

My husband and son and I are staying at the Hyatt Pinon Pointe, the rest are staying at Sunterra’s Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, Sunterra’s Sedona Summit and The Fairfield Resort.

Something else is also of course thrown into the mix. I know some of our family will only be able to afford a little (think $5 or less shopping and no more than $10 per person at dinner) while some of us will prefer to check out Tlequepaque and possibly eat at the brewery or other yummy places.

Needless to say because of all of these differences I'm almost pulling my hair out trying to figure out something that everyone will enjoy AND afford AND be able to do physically.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for things to do

Don't worry. You can do it. You all have nice accomodations although you will be scattered from one end of town to the other. But it's easy to get around in Sedona.

As I mentioned hiking is free. Bell Rock and Bell Rock Pathway are easy. Red Rock State Park offers a guided hike with information about the area. You might want to get one Red Rock Pass for parking at traiheads. Plan to visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross (another Freebie) and take a driving tour of Oak Creek Canyon (free) where you can get out and do walks or hikes if you choose.

Mexican food is inexpensive and available at several restaurants around Sedona.The Wildflower Bread Co is located close to the Hyatt and offers good affordable soups, salads and sandwiches. Also if you do a daytrip to Jerome, my favorite Mexican restaurant, Su Casa, is located on the way in Clarkdale. Very good and Very affordable. Other posters will probably suggest a miriad of restaurant options that I haven't thought of. There's plenty to choose from.

And it just so happens that my BW and I will be visiting Fairbanks this summer for 2 nights as part of our precruise land tour. Maybe you could give us some tips on what to do in Fairbanks.

Fairbanks Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for things to do

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mostly I'm just nervous about this trip because we have vacationed with my husbands parents before and discovered that what we consider fun/affordable/interesting they consider not fun/too expensive/boring and vice versa. LOL

Since we're adding two other couples (My husbands brother and sister in law and his sister and his brother in law) I know it's going to make it even more ....interesting. ;)

Definetely ask away about Fairbanks! Fairbanks is a small town that is just starting to really boom! Last fall they started building like crazy right outside of town. Mostly this is a city that depends it's economy on the military and the tourists during the spring/summer/ fall months. It's not quite as pretty here as Anchorage but the people are much nicer and things are a little more laid back here.

Be prepared for lots of sunlight! June 21 (or thereabouts) is Summer Solstice. Means almost 24 hours of daylight! Much of our produce grown here breaks worldwide records!

A must see is Mt Mckinley or called "Denali" by locals. (We're going to visit the area this spring) It's just a hop skip and jump away from Fairbanks. Also you'll need to stop by Chena Hot Springs.

Words to remember:

sourdough (means local)

cheechako (means tourist or outsider)

The Lower 48 (the rest of the US)

Termination Dust (snow that covers the mountains at the beginning of fall. Means summer is now over)

7. Re: Suggestions for things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 22, 2009