We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see, where to stay, early May, for 2 nights

Westbrook, Maine
Level Contributor
595 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What to see, where to stay, early May, for 2 nights

Hi everyone,

My daughter (24) and I will be in Scottsdale in early May. We will be arriving there in the evening (May 6) after driving from the Grand Canyon. We have all of the following day (May 7) for sightseeing, and will fly home from Phoenix the next day (May 8) at 1:20 PM.

Ideally, we would love to tour Taliesin West and the Desert Botanical Gardens and visit the McDowell Sonoran preserve for a hike. That sounds like a lot to do in one day, but if anyone has ideas on whether or not it's possible and, if so, what order to do it in, I would appreciate your thoughts. If that's too much, what should we cut out?

Thinking about the Motel 6 on Camelback. Good location? Other suggestions that aren't too expensive?

Thanks for any help!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see, where to stay, early May, for 2 nights

The tours at Taliesin are at certain times for certain tours and also different lengths, so you need to see what would fit in with your schedule. You could easily do Desert Botanical Garden and Taliesin depending on the tour time. Not sure if you could fit in McDowell Sonoran Preserve also. The Preserve is pretty close to Taliesin. The Gateway Trailhead would be close. There is a nice flat nature path called

Bajada Nature Trail. It's only a half mile but you halve great views around you and all the plants are marked. Also at Gateway Trailhead in Horseshoe Loop. This is a very nice trail. We like it a lot.

The Lost Dog Wash Trailhead is also close by in a different direction and has great views. The parking was tough last time we were there but I think they have expanded the parking area.

You might have to pick two places to visit without being rushed so you can really enjoy them.

Westbrook, Maine
Level Contributor
595 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see, where to stay, early May, for 2 nights

Thanks so much, Thelrose. I suspected as much. I'll check the opening and closing times of the gardens and Taliesin, and see where we end up.

3. Re: What to see, where to stay, early May, for 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 29, 2015