We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

overland park, ks
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

Debating between Scottsdale and Vegas ( but we don't gamble!) to celebrate my 40th with my best friend and our husbands. We both love Scottsdale and have come for our annual girls trip ( I've also been with the fam and hubs) on a couple of occasions. I need advice on where you would recommend 2 couples should stay for this trip. We would be there at the end of October ( 25-27th). We would do a spa treatment or two, want to do a little hiking or walking in the vicinity of the resort. A resort with some activity, scenery, or amenities would be a ++. A must is a couple of great places to dine out on or near property- we will have a car. However, one night we would love to hoop it up a bit so being close enough to walk, stay put, or cab it would be great. Any type of food is ok, although one of us is NOT a red meat eater, so variety is good. We would enjoy being able to do at least one night of dancing or listening to live music in the area or on property-one night of a lively atmosphere. We have stayed at Montelucia, Royal Palms, Firesky, The Boulders, Sheraton Desert Oasis ( family trip), Ritz Carlton ( business trip) and loved them all.

Just trying to decide which resort would be best for a couple trips trip this time with a mixture of lively and relaxation. Happy to return or try some of the many untapped areas of Scottsdale. Opinions welcomed.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

Of the hotels you mentioned, the Montelucia or the Royal Palms would be best. The Montelucia has a far larger spa than the RP, if that's a consideration. But as you know, the RP is a beautiful property, and great for couples. They've recently revamped T. Cooks at the Royal Palms, and completely changed their mixed drinks menu. I haven't been there yet, but the menus look promising. The RP would be closest to Old Town Scottsdale for a night out, although the Montelucia isn't too far to grab a cab.

Another option to consider is the JW Marriott Camelback Inn. They have one of the best spas in Metro Phoenix; it's not as "flashy" as the Montelucia's Joya Spa, but the treatments are top notch, the pool area is beautiful with views of the mountains, and they have a great spa restaurant. The rooms at Camelback are of an older style, but the historic property in general is quite nice, with a laid back, "Old Arizona" feel. Service is generally excellent. And regarding hiking, the Montelucia and Camelback Inn have the closest hiking options.

Happy 40th Birthday, hope you have a great time! :)

Edited: 5:16 pm, September 23, 2013
overland park, ks
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

I guess I should note that Hiking might include just being able to take a nice long walk with mountains in view. I don't actually have to have rugged terrain. I just love the scenery. I do love the casita type rooms at Royal Palms! Keep the suggestions coming. I will check out Camelback Inn! I might have eaten there- Ritas?!?!?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

JW Marriott Camelback Inn ( great spa) and Phoenician would top my list.

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

You might want to check out FireSky Resort. It's not quite on the same level as the others you mentioned but is still a very nice property and more convenient for walking to Old Town bars and restaurants. Hotel Valley Ho is another option in the area or even the new Bespoke Inn. It's a tiny bed and breakfast but the rooms are gorgeous and the location is perfect. They also offer free bikes for peddling around town.

5. Re: 40th birthday resort suggestion for return visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale