We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

Just watching the TPC Scottsdale on television. The 16th hole sounds like a party boat. What's the story?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

Well, like you said, it's pretty much one big party. It has evolved over the years from people simply lining up on the hill, to where they finally ended up with the stands built around the tee that you see today. Players seem to either embrace it or hate it. Here's a golf forum discussion on the 16th that's pretty accurate:

golfwrx.com/forums/…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

The Phoenix Open is like no other PGA golf event, anywhere in the world. Attendance is well over a half million people. The party atmosphere at the 16th hole is unprecedented in golf. The party at the event continues every night at the Birds Nest.

The tournament raises millions of dollars for local charities through the Thunderbird Organization.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

Boy is that right. I've been to several golf tournaments in the US and abroad, and I've never seen/heard anything like it. I think I'll try to be in Scottsdale next year to see this for myself. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

My favorite Phoenix Open story, and it's true:

Kenny Perry had won the PHX Open and returned the following year to defend his title. On the day of his arrival he decided to go get his haircut. The stylist was cutting his hair and trying to make conversation. She obviously had no idea who he was.

"So what brings you to Scottsdale this week?" she asked

He replied, "I'm here for the Phoenix Open."

"Oh!" she said, "I love the Phoenix Open! I go every night!"

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

Quote: "Oh!" she said, "I love the Phoenix Open! I go every night!"

LOL!! That's perfect! And yes, the Phx Open certainly embraces its "party atmosphere" like no other tournament. And as RR said, they make millions of dollars doing it.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

Thanks RedRox for the great laugh! The occupancy for the 16th hole alone is 10,000...sky boxes, bleachers and they fill up every year. I remember when you could get there early and sit on the hillside by the green and watch the fun. Yes, it gets a bit much, but the players are ready for it and if they are smart they embrace it.

7. Re: What's Up at the TPC 16th Hole?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014