We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Hello

My husband and I are considering a 5 day trip to Scottsdale in Decemeber. We have a timeshare so we are staying at the Sheraton Desert Oasis. It seems nice but how far are we from the actions? I hear Phoenix is 20 minutes away which is fine with us. What are some of the must do things to do during that time of year in Scottsdale/Phoenix?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Your culture is not that different from ours, so here are a couple of things you really should check out. Go to the Phoenix Zoo for the "Zoo Lights" festival. We have a really world-class zoo that most people who live here don't realize. Also, check out the luminarias at the Desert Botanical Gardens. Not to brag, but Arizona has WAY better cactus than NM. If you like sports, the PHX Suns might be in town, so you can catch a professional basketball game. You also have enough time to do such things as Frank Lloyd Wright's studio at Taliasen West, not far from you. Also there is MIM, the music museum that gets rave reviews from all who have seen it! In addition, if you like the quirky and off the beaten path I would suggest you try Mystery Castle high up on the slopes of South Mountain...a real slice of Phoenix history. Along similar lines, you could look at Tovrea Castle and then stop into the Stockyards Restaurant for an old west steak meal.

This just a start. If you go to the Phoenix Forum, you will find 120+ other things to do in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Other great places to eat include: Wright's at the Arizona Biltmore, the absolute finest gourmet food in town; Durant's a 60 year tradition for great steak, chops and (when in season) blue crab; Linda's on Osborn for REAL home cooking, Barb's Bakery for the best pastries, Avanti's for high end Italian, and Red Devil for really great home-style Italian and pizzas.

See some of the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31310-d3350…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31310-d5630…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31310-d8244…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31310-d3346…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31310-d4809…

Enjoy!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Your timeshare is just minutes away from Kierland Commons/Scottsdale Quarter for upscale shopping and many dining choices. You will also be near hiking areas. Old Town Scottsdale is about 20 minutes south via Loop 101 - art galleries, dining, etc. Heard Museum, Taliesin and The MIM are all worth visiting if you enjoy that type of activity. Weather is lovely in December and everything will be decorated for the holidays!

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Thanks so much. This is a great help. We just moved to NM last year from the East Coast so we figure stay close and see what the West has to offer. I totally forgot about the Suns game. That may be fun considering NM doesn't have any professional teams.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

I love shopping so this is good to know we are close to the shops. Also, didn't even think about the Holidays and all the decors and events around town. Thanks

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Great suggestions above...also look at Scottsdale Fashion Square for shopping in downtown Scottsdale, there are some great art galleries down that way as well and some awesome cafes/bistros, western style streets to browse.

One of my favorite grocers is just down the street on Frank L. Wright Blvd, Trader Joe's - many prepared food items, snack foods, deserts, wines, breads, cheeses...well priced as well, perfect for vacation food!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

Ok, now this is totally not just next door, but have you seen the Grand Canyon??? If not it would be worth - and if the roads up there are clear - to go there, spend one night at the canyon, explore along the rim. You'd be close enough ... and this is the #1 of the Must-Sees in the Southwest.

7. Re: First time in Scottsdale- Arizona...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 06, 2013