We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time scottsdale/phoenix area. Need info!

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, WI
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time scottsdale/phoenix area. Need info!

Hi,

My family and I are visiting scottsdale are next year some time. I would like to get info on best time of year to go, places to eat, things to do, places to stay. Any info would be great! I am going with my 4 and 7 year old so things for the whole family would be nice. We are also thinking more of a resort rather than a condo. Bigger pools, more food options, etc.

Any information would be very appreciated.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time scottsdale/phoenix area. Need info!

I would definitely recommend Butterfield's Pancake House and Restaurant for breakfast. Phenomenal, affordable and great for kids. There are a couple of reviews on this site.

Regarding things to do, I always go hiking on one of the mountains when I'm there. So far my wife and I have hit Camelback Mountain and Pinnacle Peak. I would suggest Pinnacle Peak if you are a beginner. Camelback was a little harder.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time scottsdale/phoenix area. Need info!

Right now is the best time weather wise to visit, actually from late March to early June is some of the greatest weather. If you can stand the heat July and August are when you can get some of the best deals at resorts. As long as you're not out in the worst of it, mid afternoon, it's managable. Use lots of sunscreen around the pools, wear hats and drink lots of water. Most of the resorts are kid friendly but I would suggest the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Fairmont Scottsdale Princess and the Westin Kierland. There are lots of great places to eat. Morton's Steakhouse (kind of pricey), Flemings, the Keg, PF Chang's China Bistro, the Cheesecake Factory. Jillians at the Desert Ridge Marketplace has some good food in a sports bar atmosphere with an arcade area with games for kids of all ages. We have a great zoo to visit, the Desert Botonical Gardens. Sedona is worth a day trip to visit.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time scottsdale/phoenix area. Need info!

Go during the summer when salt river tubing is open (saltrivertubing). Also you might want to check out the Arizona Mills shopping center for yourself.

As far as food;

Waldo's BBQ - mesa, arizona (pulled pork sandwiches with a side of onion wings and lemonade to drink)