We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

Will be staying in Scottsdale for 4 days next week and our first day is free. Thinking of going to Sedona for the day since I've seen it mentioned here and there, but have never been.

Can anyone tell me how long the drive is and if it's scenic? Any recommended stops along the way? Do you think it's worth a day trip? Any must see or do things when I get there?

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

Hi Island

Its about 1 1/2 hr roughly depends on what part of Scottsdale you are comming from. But I'd say its a definate yes to come visit sedona. www.visitsedona.com You can also make a stop at Montezuma's castle which isn't that far from the Sedona turn off on I-17. Then you can either turn back the way you came or take scenic 89a up to I-17 near FLagstaff then back to Scottsdale which is about 2 hours from that point give or take. If you have time to catch a Pink Jeep tour I'd say go for it www.pinkjeep.com you will love it.

americansouthwest.net/arizona/…index.html

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

Just a note on your jewelry buying Sedona hikes up its prices more than most. Flagstaff and Scottsdale are going to be your best bet for real turqoise jewelry and silver. The Hopi and the Navajo are the 2 best with silversmithing while the Zuni are the best with inlayed stone work.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

One thing we found fun ( on the way to Sedona) was the Verde Canyon Railway - excellent.

Iowa City, IA
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

Sedona is definitely worth seeing. Especially the drive up toward Flagstaff up Oak Creek Canyon and through the red rocks. If at all possible go in the middle of the week. Jerome makes a great side trip too (artisans in an old mining town). Or if you want more remote red rocks and forests take the drive from Sedona over to Payson and then back down to Scottsdale. That area is just gorgeous. Stop by Arcosanti (in Cordes Junction) for a cool bronze or ceramic bell and a trip into bizarro world. Also Sedona and Flagstaff have many good (and some even reasonable) restaurants. Macy's Coffee Shop in Flagstaff still brings back many happy memories for me every time I go there. I'll be there in a week visiting from Iowa and I look forward to my trips up north from Scottsdale.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Scottsdale-Day trip to Sedona worth it?

I just got back from Scottsadle and took a day trip to Sedona. It was a 2 hour ride for us (thru just about nothing but desert and cati) but it was a nice drive as we are from the NY area. When we got there there wasnt much to do, the sights are nice and there are little shops ($$$$$). We liked it but wouldnt do it again