We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Weekend with kids?

Chicago, IL
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve Weekend with kids?

We are traveling to Phoenix/Scottsdale over New Years Eve weekend with our 2 and 4 year old children and looking for recommendations for a good family hotel/resort. We are going to the Fiesta Bowl on Jan 2nd and need a resort that offers babysitting services. We are open to staying in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe but would prefer some place that has some charm (ie, not an airport hotel). Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, would the weather be nice enough to use the pools at these resorts?

Thanks so much!

CD

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve Weekend with kids?

As to the pool question, nearly all local hotels have heated pools (some hot tubs too), so even when the temps dip down in the 30s (or even 20s), you can still use them.

There's a few hotels right in downtown Tempe that would be walking distance to the Fiesta Bowl, you'd be right in the middle of all the action, if that's what you're looking for. There's a Courtyard by Marriott at 5th St/Ash (a block from Mill) and Tempe Mission Palms on Mill at 3rd or 4th Street. Both of those have pools.

Just an FYI, Tempe does a HUGE New Year's Eve celebration on Mill Ave and Tempe Town Lake. If you are wanting to go to it, either of those hotels would be right there. If you want to avoid it...I'd stay somewhere else.

I'm pretty biased against Scottsdale (many here call it Snottsdale) because everything is overpriced. Tempe is good, you can also find some good deals in Mesa, and Chandler has a few well-placed hotels (near the Chandler mall, and the San Marcos resort downtown). Any of those areas are a 15 min or so drive to Tempe for the bowl game. Actually, with the kids, I'd recommend the Windmill Inn on Chandler Blvd, walking distance to the Chandler Mall, and 1/4 mile from the Loop 101, about 1 mile from the Santan 202 Freeway, and about 3 miles from the I-10. The rooms are more like suites, there is a nice pool, and I've had family stay there before and they really enjoy it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve Weekend with kids?

The only problem with staying at a resort/hotel outside Tempe if you're going to the Fiesta Bowl, are the driving and parking issues - it's a MESS on Dec 31/Jan 1. I would definitely stay in Tempe, probably at the Mission Palms, because you can walk to the game and to everything else you might want. The drawbacks are the crowds. Don't worry about the weather - it's usually great - cool in the morning and probably mid 60's by game time.

scottsdale, az
Level Contributor
19 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve Weekend with kids?

Yes, the JW Marriott Resort at Desert Ridge has a New Year's eve party for children ages 4-12. Our 4 yr. old son will attend as we enjoy a nice dinner. It's a lovely resort and while it is a drive to the Fiesta Bowl game, it is near a great mall with excellent restaurants and shops. The hotel does offer babysitting services. We live 5 minutes from the resort and still go over there to "get away". Hope this helps.