We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Trying to decide which property would be the best for myself & teenage son. Will be coming in for two days in the middle of the week-seems like some hotels don't allow check-in for some reason on these days.

I love the look of the rooms at either the Four Seasons or the J.W. Marriott, but don't know if too far away(we are visiting Mesa) although we will have a rent car. Would like somewhere "somewhat" lively-good pool, bar and good places to eat. Don't mind paying for that "Southwest feel", but don't want to be totally isolated. Prefer new to old surroundings. Also if anyone knows of which rooms are better at each resort it would be a help.

phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Since your are visiting Mesa I would suggest staying in Downtown Scottsdale. Don't worry it's not your typical downtown. It's more old town feeling. Four Seasons is great but probably almost an hour drive to Mesa. JW Marriott is also great. Probably a 45 minute or less drive.

Other resorts closer would be, Scottsdale Plaza, JW Marriott Camelback Inn, Chaparral Suites, Millinium Resort, Gainey Ranch Resorts (there are 2 resorts there)

These are all nice properties in Scottsdale that are closer to Mesa. And they are close to the nightlife. Some of the spellings might be wrong. Chaparral is the least nice of the bunch.

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Does anyone know how extensive the lobby/bar renovation/closure is at the Hyatt? I was thinking about this resort, but hate to go somewhere and whole bar is closed down. Are there other bars besides the the swim up bars? Well I guess those have section out of water...

Was also thinking about the Marriott Camelback, but why do they not allow reservations on certain days of the week? I know they want people to stay longer -can see wanting you to check in on a Fri instead of Sat...

Any help appreciated!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

I've stayed at Camelback and never heard of the policy you mentioned. Are you trying to book directly with them or through a travel engine such as Expedia? If they have availability, you should be able to check in and out at will. They are a big convention site ( as most of the resorts are), so unless they are booked up - shouldn't be a problem. You'll get more "southwest" feel at Camelback than say - Westin Kierland or JW Marriott ( I've stayed at both of those BTW and they are also GREAT!).

Camelback will be more laid-back and quiet.....JW Marriott hops all the time with activity but has wonderful rooms. Westin Kierland is also busy but has killer pools, and nice accomodation.

As far as distance - everyone in Phoenix drives. Just hop on the 101 and zip on down to Mesa.

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

You're right, when I saw the message "do not allow check-in on these days" it probably was Expedia. Went directly to Marriott & they show sold out.

Let me make sure that we are talking about the same Camelback (which is a J.W. Marriott) & the J.W. Marriott do you mean the Desert Ridge I assume?

When I said I love the rooms I was talking about the Camelback Inn, J.W. Marriott in particular-plus they have a good location being somewhat closer to Mesa. Although I know what you mean about the driving-I'm from Houston & traffic is our pastime-plus the hot HUMID weather! Ha!

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

If I request 4 nights (including 2 nights we want) there is availability, but not for JUST the two nights.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Go to the JW Camelback, you'll love it. The rooms are large and beautiful, very "southwest". The pool is very nice, food is fantastic and reasonably priced. Staff is wonderful. We stayed there a few weeks ago and I was completely impressed on all levels, I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Scottsdale. If you'll be visiting the pool alot ask for a room near the Jack Rabbitt pool, the resort is very spread out.

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

I tried to get in, but they showed booked for the two nights we will be there. Finally gave up and settled for the Hyatt Regency @ Gainey Ranch. Would have done Four Seasons, but too far & afraid too quite while traveling with teenage son. By the time you do the research the rooms are gone!

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Oh yes, the thing I liked at the Marriott were the rooms-my type & what I was looking for:(

Paradise Valley...
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
574 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Not to burst your bubble because it sounds as if you have already decided......BUT, The construction in the lobby was a bit annoying to me when we stayed there for the July 4th weekend. If you have never been there to notice the difference it may not bother you like it did me. In any case it it a beautiful resort but so much of the lobby and beauty of this property is taken away with the renovation. Have you considered The Phoenician/Camelback Inn/ The Westin near Kierland..............otherwise I would stick too JW Marriot if you dont mind the drive. Hope this helped and didnt fustrate you. You will enjoy your time either way...:)

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4-5-Star Hotel for Mom & teenage son

Well, it was more like process of elimination! Ha! Everyone raves about the Camelback Marriott, but couldn't get in for reservation for only two days. Thought about booking four & staying two even.

My other first choice was the Four Seasons(our choice in San Francisco), but it seemed like almost a waste with just my teenage son & myself-watch all the couples together :(Also a little far, although this was not too much of a factor(going to concert at Mesa).

People were saying how overpriced the Phoenian was-again still liked alot, but would it be fun for son?

For sure did not want some old hotel, dated even if it was popular-maybe like Santurary & Princess.

Love how the rooms looked at the Camelback Marriott & the Four Seasons-my kind of place. Can't help it I love nicely decorated rooms, new, good taste...disapponted with rooms at Hyatt, but for above reasons & because of the extensive pool areas I settled for it-I guess the renovation affects the inside bar area-is all thats left is pool bar? I too was very concerned-I believe already paid 1st nights deposit,plus now my son's friend coming on this part of trip-so there goes my king rm-liked the way room turned-now have to get double(not queens?) or a suite. These two guys on a double?! Also want good location/view-of pool? Don't mind paying?! Ha! :(:)Any suggestions-prob keep the Hyatt-maybe lots of girls/teenagers-more fun for them?! Poor Mom ;I'll need a vacation after this!