We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescott or Payson

Which Prescott hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Prescott or Payson

Family trip (Sedona, Grand Canyon, Page, Bryce, Zion, ending up with Hoover Dam and Vegas. Would we have a better view/drive and first night in Prescott or Payson? We are coming into Phoenix through Phoenix/Mesa Gateway. We are not big shoppers or group tour people. Want the kids to see the parks and do some fun "Wild West" stuff. Husband would like to do a Balloon ride, any recommendations appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescott or Payson

Hi

Depends on how much time you have. Both the drives via Payson or Prescott will take extra time on the way to Sedona where you prob want to stay as long as possible also for the balloon ride. For the "western" feeling I'd pick places like Wickenburg, Prescott and Jerome.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescott or Payson

While I like the Payson area a lot I think Prescott has a nice choice of places to stay.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescott or Payson

Sedona sounds nice, I'm just worried it might be a little more for adults than children. I want to avoid the shopping destinations in favor of Historical Landmarks and activities the Kid's might enjoy. We have boys 13 & soon to be 9. Really don't want to spend my vacation shushing them or avoiding looks from not as enthusiastic fellow travelers. Finding out the 9 year old is too young for some of the activities he would love, mule rides, and some of the rafting adventures. Any suggestions?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescott or Payson

Have you looked into the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour in Sedona? The boys will count that as the highlight of their trip. You don't say when you are doing this trip but if warm enough another place in Sedona they would like is Slide Rock. Also go to Red Rock Crossing. This has the best views of Cathedral Rock and is a great place for adventurous boys to have fun in the creek and along the large flat rocks there.

The raft ride available is in Page, AZ and it's a smooth water 1/2 day ride. Your 9 year old is old enough for that trip. The mules at the Grand Canyon just go along the wooded area beyond the villages. I don't know the age requirements there but there are no views. The mules rides in Bryce area another story. The age limit on mules at Bryce is 7 so there again he can do that. I would prefer that option over the one at Grand Canyon.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescott or Payson

Thanks for the recommendations. I really want them to feel they've had an adventure. My mom and dad took me at around the same age, before all the guard rails went up around the Grand Canyon (it was understood then I guess). We went in a pick-up truck with a simple cap and slept mostly at campgrounds, it was an adventure for sure. I had also thought about the kayak trips on Powell but wasn't sure if the water level had changed those for better or worse?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescott or Payson

It's a little lower than it was before but still plenty of water for any wateractivity.

7. Re: Prescott or Payson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 15, 2015