We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
132 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
What to do?

Planning a trip to Prescott to see if this is where we would like to retire to from the East Coast. Any suggestions as to what we should see while there? Any special area we should be looking at with retirement in mind? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
220 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do?

What sort of lifestyle are you after? The draw for many is that Prescott has a vibrant downtown with events happening all year round. Or are you looking for horse property? Miles of difference between those requirements.... There are nice older neighborhoods within walking distance of downtown.

You might check out the event schedule at Yavapai and Prescott Colleges to get an idea of cultural stuff that is happening.

Stop by Watters Garden Center out on Iron Springs Road. Gardening in the Mountain West will probably be quite different that you are used to. Some transplants never adapt to the lesser green out here.

The Prescott area has some nice local lakes: www.cityofprescott.net/services/parks/parks/

Some of our favorites are Granite Basin and Watson Lake (Kayak rentals, etc)

Sharlot Hall Museum is very close to downtown and has a good history of the town. http://www.sharlot.org/ They have regular events too (including an annual folk Music festival in October).

Edited: 2:04 pm, July 30, 2012
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
132 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do?

Thank you for your help. We have made many trips to AZ, but not with retirement in mind. We are mostly looking for a quiet area that we have access to great sightseeing in easy drives and golfing for my husband.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do?

One of my favorite drives is south out of Prescott down through Peeples Valley into the western town of Wickenburg in the valley below. Quite a road down Hwy 89, amazing views and some great switchbacks. Have lunch in Wickenburg and grab an ice cream at the Chaparral Ice Cream store. You can come back up via 89 or go out to Interstate 17 and come north that way to get home.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do?

You might want to also look into Silver City NM. Very mild climate. Forests all around like Prescott. More remote from big cities which can be a bonus or deficit depending on the people.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do?

For what it's worth, my Aunt and Uncle (who I'm visiting in Prescott next week) moved from Long Island to Tennessee to Hawaii to Florida to Prescott. They said there is definitely an adjustment period with moving to a place with so little greenery, but once you're there, you learn to appreciate the beauty of it, and end up loving it. As long as you're OK with 'small town' feels, you should be OK. I've visited Prescott once a year for the past 3-5 years, and have never felt like there is "nothing to do." There's ALWAYS something going on downtown!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
132 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do?

Thank you Ben! We are really small town where we are now, so that is good for us. As for greenery, after years of mowing too much grass and raking tons of leaves every year, we would welcome something different. :)

I guess our next step should be finding a good real estate agent out there. If your relatives know of a good one, please let me know. Can't wait to get out there and take a look at the area.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do?

I'll ask them when I see them next week.

Fun exercise on Prescott real estate: go to www.zillow.com, enter in 'Prescott AZ', zoom in on the map, and start clicking on houses that show prices within your budget. Most have 20-40 pictures and show you where the house is located in relation to downtown Prescott.

8. Re: What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 27, 2013