We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which road for RV from Quartzite to Prescott

Which Prescott hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles area
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which road for RV from Quartzite to Prescott

We will be driving a very long 500 miles on our first day of vacation to get from Los Angeles area to Prescott AZ in our 31' RV. I have read some other posts that describe Highway 89 north of Congress as "nail-biting". Is this a bad idea, especially if it's dark by the time we go through?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,933 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which road for RV from Quartzite to Prescott

Yes, the section of Hwy 89 from Congress to Prescott is mountainous and winding. I don't think it is dangerous, but also would not want to drive a large RV there. There is also nothing on that route, and will be slow in a large rig. For a large RV, I would suggest I-10 to Phoenix area, Loop 101 around Phoenix, and I-17 north to the Prescott turnoff. Will take about an hour or less longer.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which road for RV from Quartzite to Prescott

Agreeing with Bobbear

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which road for RV from Quartzite to Prescott

Definitely.

4. Re: Which road for RV from Quartzite to Prescott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, November 02, 2014