I will be in Phoenix for a conference 4/23-4/27 and fly back to California on afternoon 4/28. It is my first visit in Phoenix and I want to see as much as possible in the limited hours left after conference. Conference hours 7am-1pm. I am 40 years old female, love art, architecture, theater, concerts and to see new or unusual things/places. I am not super interested in sports, night clubs or hiking etc (have back problem). Guided bus city tour would be great too.
1. What would you recommend to see on 5 afternoons after 1pm and 1 morning (4/28) before 1pm? I have plans for 3 afternoons so far: Desert Botanical Garden, Heard Museum and Phoenix Art Museum. What else?
2. I will not have a car, so if here is a way of public transportation to those places it would be a big plus. If not, how much approximately might it cost to get to those places by cab from JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort (5350 E. Marriott Dr) where the conference going to be?
3. Are there any good but not too expensive hotels in a walking distance or $10 or less cab ride to/from the listed above resort? Price there $260 per night plus tax. It might be preferable to pay $100-150 or less and take a cab to the conference center.
4. Is the area around that resort safe for coming back at late evening?
5. Shopping not far from that resort?
Thank you very much!Edited: 3:24 am, March 20, 2014