We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

Albuqurrque, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

I want to go from Chandler to downtown Phoenix to the Arts Museum tonight (Wed.) at 6pm.

What can I expect as far as traffic on the I-10 going towards Phoenix at that hour?

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all!

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

There is a Suns game at 9pm, so you should avoid that. If you have 2 people in the car you can use the car pool lane which will help. 6pm is the middle of rush hour, so expect traffic. For the initial part you will be going against traffic but as you near downtown the congestion will worsen.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

I believe that is a 7pm game.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

You are correct, it is 7pm. Computer was on Central Time.

Based on that, the OP may want to reconsider the time. Go earlier.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

John is right. It will be a mess at the "pinch points". You might consider pulling off the freeway at 24th St. or even sooner and going north/right to McDowell and then west/left to the museum. There will be little traffic in that direction at that time of day.

Edited: 5:42 pm, March 19, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

I would suggest you take the 32nd St turnoff to avoid the real possibility of a bumper to bumper slow down just after that.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

^ I would suggest the same, maybe even 44th street. It gets backed up there for the exit to the 51.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

It is really hard to estimate on any day how far the back up might be at the 51/I-10 split. So the earlier you can get off the better.

8. Re: I-10 traffic tonight -Chandler to Phoenix Art Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, March 21, 2015