We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing between these resorts.....

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing between these resorts.....

Hi, my family including my 12 year old daughter will be coming to Phoenix next Spring. I am looking at these resorts seriously and wondering if there are any opinions out there.

Firesky Resort: I am in love with the photos of the pool area and grounds! Rooms look fine, reviews are good for service.

Gainey suites hotel: I think I would get the biggest room here and a kitchen too. But it looks generic and I'm underwhelmed by the pool area.

Montelucia resort: nice rooms, nice pools. Is it better than the Firesky? I can't tell.

I'd love to hear any opinions on these. Thank you for reading.

Montelucia: nice room, nice pool area. Is it better than Firesky?

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing between these resorts.....

Sorry for the extra line there!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing between these resorts.....

Fire sky wins if location is important, it's in downtown Scottsdale, walking distance to great shopping and dining and it's a popular resort. Montelucia is not far from downtown, but not walkable. It IS a lovely resort though and still within easy driving to entertainment closely. Gainey gets good ratings, but it's not the full service resort you will get from the other two.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing between these resorts.....

The Firesky does not really compare to the Montelucia. Firesky is a nice hotel, but I've always felt that calling it a resort is a bit misleading. To me, a resort is a sprawling complex with many buildings and multiple pools, a "destination" spa, etc. The Firesky is basically a regular hotel with a pool set in the middle, albeit with very nice landscaping. The Montelucia, on the other hand, is more upscale and spread out, with quite a few different buildings and room styles, several outlets for dining, plus a nice gift/ice cream/coffee shop, two large pools, an incredible spa with infinity pool overlooking the mountains, and gorgeous views of Camelback Mountain from many of the rooms and public spaces.

So yes, the Montelucia is "better" than Firesky. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the better hotel for you. Firesky is just different. The pool area at Firesky is more "lush", despite the relatively smaller size of the pool itself. If you look at a Google satellite image of both properties, you'll see what I'm talking about. If you like the look of the pool area at Firesky, though, and if you want to be really close to Old Town, then it's a great place to stay.

Oh, and I agree that Gainey is not on the same level as either of the other two.

4. Re: Choosing between these resorts.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 22, 2014