We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for a one night stay.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for a one night stay.

We will arrive in Phoenix around 18.00, via interstate 10, and following one nights stay, propose to travel to Sedona and the Grand Canyon via interstate 17 the following morning. This trip is booked for the start of May 14. Could you please advise where would be the best place to stay for one night, in a nice mid range hotel, to facilitate these routes. We would prefer if the hotel is close to restaurants and something to see or do. It would be nice if we stayed in a safe place were we could get a flavour of Phoenix, although only a taste with the time that we have.

Thank you in advance for any recommendation.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

One of the many hotels/motels near the airport would probably be best. There are several on the hotel listings here on TripAdvisor. I-10 is handy to start your travels, but you might want to wait until rush hour is over and the traffic clears a bit. Maybe 9:30 a.m. or so. Many of the hotels in that area have restaurants, which might be your best alternative. Probably by the time you collect your luggage, get through customs and pick up a rental car, you are not going to have much time for sightseeing. Driving out I-10 and then I-17, you will get a good look at Phoenix. If you choose a hotel near the Light Rail, you might make an evening trip into Downtown Phoenix and look around. Or you could go east to Mill Avenue in Tempe.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

Are you driving into Phoenix, or flying? Just making sure, because you mentioned arriving in Phoenix via I-10. If you are, in fact, driving in, which direction are you coming from? That makes a difference with hotel recommendations, especially as you are arriving during rush hour.

Edited: 4:22 pm, September 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

We are driving from San Diego.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

In that case, and in order to avoid traffic, you might consider staying in the Goodyear area, just west of Phoenix. There are a number of suitable budget hotels just north of I-10, along Dysart and Litchfield Park Roads. You could have dinner, relax, and then get an early start the next morning. With your timeframe, you really won't be able to see much of Phoenix, anyway.

You might also consider the Wigwam Resort, which is about 2 miles north of I-10, in that same area. In May, you can probably get a great deal online. The Wigwam is an historic resort with a very "old Arizona" feel to it. They have a lot of old photographs around the lobby area; ask for a tour if you're interested in more of the history of the place. They have several excellent restaurants on-site, as well as golf, tennis, pools, and a lovely spa. You can also borrow one of their bikes and ride around the Litchfield Park neighborhood, which is quite pretty.

Another option would be to take the 101 freeway north from I-10; the 101 curves towards the East and brings you to the I-17. From there, head north on I-17 to either Happy Valley Road, or the Anthem area, and stay at one of those hotels. You might fight a bit of traffic along the way, but you'd have no traffic the next morning.

Edited: 5:55 pm, September 17, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

You don't have time to see anything. Stay in north Phoenix so you have a head start the next morning. Use the car pool lane to beat the traffic on your way into town, and your drive from the west side to the north via I-10 and the 101 to I-17. It's the far left lane marked with a diamond.

Phoenix, Arizona...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

Crescent at I-17 and Dunlap?

Edited: 5:11 pm, September 18, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

The Sheraton Crescent at I-17 and Dunlap is NOT a good place to stay! Besides the fact that it would require the OP to fight rush hour traffic, it's also in a very unsafe area. To quote the police, the Metro Center mall area is the "car theft capital of Phoenix". Cars get broken on a regular basis at both the Sheraton and the Crown Plaza, and the hotels have posted signs everywhere on their properties, stating that they aren't responsible for any loss or damage.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

Allow me to recommend the Drury:

https:/…

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

Rush hour traffic shouldn't concern you, as you will have 2 people in the car and can use the car pool lane.

10. Re: Best hotel for a one night stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:15 pm, September 18, 2013