We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

My Family will be in Phoenix August 17th - 24th.

Are there any attractions involving the Old West? My son is really into Cowboys and the Old West and I am hoping there is some attractions regarding this. I did find Rawhide which would be perfect but is closed while we are there, is there anything else like this?

I would like to visit an old western ghost town, any suggestions?

My kids are 7 and 10 are there any other activities things to do that would be of interest for this age group?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Cheers,

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

It's not western, but have a look at the Musical Instrument Museum, even if no one plays or has an interest in playing an instrument. It's really interesting. They bill themselves as the best museum you've ever heard. Lots of videos of people of all ages using the instruments that are display from all around the world. We have easily spent a couple of hours in the museum and enjoyed it immensely. Also, it will be nice and cool in there.

Have a look at the Goldfield Ghost Town near Apache Junction.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

Goldfield is the best suggestion and I think your kids would love it. Perhaps have lunch at The Rusty Spur in Old Town Scottsdale. Check to see when their cowboy singer plays, he does a lunchtime set. Consider a day trip up to Sedona for a Pink Jeep tour, quite an adventure and the red rocks are amazing. The town of Wickenburg is steeped in cowboy history, would be a good day trip as well. Have ice cream at the Chaparral Ice Cream Parlor, worth the trip just for that!

Edited: 9:39 am, August 01, 2013
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

I also suggest Goldfield and as an added option drive from there to have lunch in Tortilla Flat. Very western indeed. The kids will love it as will the adults.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

Thank you very much for the awesome ideals, I will check out all of these suggestions.

Cheers,

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

Head north up Scottsdale Road to Cave Creek and the Buffalo Chip Saloon. There is live bull riding on Wednesday and Friday nights. Cave Creek still has some old West ambiance. Wickenburg and Prescott also. In Prescott, wander around the Yavapai County Court House, and Whiskey Row is just across the street. Sorry, but Goldfield is sort of a tourist thing, not authentic.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

Jerome is another town you might like, and it's a little north of Phoenix so the weather is slightly cooler.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

I know this is past your trip dates - but if anyone else is using this for planning a trip - be sure to stop and eat at the saloon in Tortilla Flat - and take your camera with you when you go to the bathroom!! It's a one-of-a-kind place. I order their green chile chicken burgers, which are very good. You can also take a ride on the Dolly Steamboat on Canyon Lake, which leaves from Tortilla Flat. Definitely worth doing, though not a cowboy thing. Check their schedule, as it varies. It's traditional to get some prickly pear ice cream at the ice cream parlor in town, as well.

Edited: 10:28 pm, January 05, 2014
Lansing, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

Thanks for your travel tip, Kathryn C.I just saved it for a Phoenix trip in April.

Edited: 9:44 am, January 11, 2014
9. Re: Must see and do attractions around Phoenix area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 13, 2015