We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix in August?

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Phoenix in August?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I visited Phoenix last November (JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa). We are wanting to go again this year, and have been approved off of work for a week in August, but I am concerned about the heat and humidity. I hear it can be around 40C and 100% humidity.

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and heat can cause fatigue and other problems. She normally does fine as long as there is plenty of cold water/drinks, pool, shade, and an air conditioned room we can escape to if needed.

I'm wondering if August weather would be too much? I'm sure it's drastically different from November when I think the highest it got was maybe 25C. How can I know? Is it like a sauna? I'm wondering if she'd be OK provided we go indoors sometimes and always use sun screen, sun hat, shaded cabanas, cold drinks, and spend most of the time in the pool?

Also, is it true we can expect a LITTLE rain each day, but it's mostly sunshine? We just had a vacation rained out in the US Northwest and it was awful. We are really hoping for some sunshine!

On a side note, I also posted this in the Puerto Vallarta forums as that is a fallback option for us, and I understand the weather can be very similar there as well (40C, 100% humidity). I guess at this point we want to pick the better if the two in terms of comfort and least chance of rain.

Thank you!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix in August?

We Phoenicians do everything we can to get out of town in August, if that tells you anything. It usually isn't 100% humidity, but it's almost always hotter than 40 C. You can expect temps from 44-46 C, easily, with additional humidity. The tough part is that it just doesn't cool down at night. It's often still over 38 C at midnight, and by morning, it might "cool down" to only 33-35 C.

As for rain, when we do get our summer monsoons, it's usually over pretty quickly, and then turns sunny (and humid) again. Honestly, if your wife's condition is worsened by the heat, I don't recommend coming to Phoenix in August. Alternately, you could head north and spend time in Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona, where it's a bit cooler. (Sedona will still be quite warm, though; 32 - 37 C during the day, sometimes a bit hotter.) Oak Creek Canyon just north of Sedona is a few degrees cooler than being right in town.

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
251 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix in August?

I agree, it may not be the best time to visit Phoenix. We are going through our "Monsoon" season and the weather can get intensely HOT and HUMID. Instead of the dry oven heat of June, it is more like a sauna in August. After the rain, it does cool off a bit for the next few hours then the heat just kicks in again. I planned my vacation to California as soon as August hits.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix in August?

Thought you already booked PV.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix in August?

August can be an unpredictable month. During July and August, moisture moves in from the south. Generally, high temperatures are about 41C during the day and go about 35C at night. Last year, though, we had a consecutive string of days when temperatures went above 44C. That was not pleasant, and not sure if that may happen again.

With the added moisture/humidity, there is the constant possibility of rain, though mostly in late afternoon. When it does rain, it can be a violent storm. Lately, though, it seems the number of rain storms has decreased, but that could change.

After many years of living here, August is my least favorite month. It is generally hot and humid. If they can, most folks flee to the high country - Sedona and Flagstaff to the north and Show Low, Pinetop, Lakeside to the east.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,798 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix in August?

Agreeing with the others. Phoenix is a bad idea for a vacation in August. Head for higher ground and cooler temperatures. I'd advise Flagstaff or the White Mountain region. Both are about a 3-4 hour drive from PHX

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix in August?

Even though Phoenix has nowhere near the humidity you have ben lead to believe, August is undoubtably our worst month. Given your circumstances, I think you might be much better served to look at some place like San Diego during this time frame.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix in August?

I echo everyone else. I would never recommend someone visit Phoenix in August, unless their plan is to stay indoors the entire time.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phoenix in August?

The OP never came back to this thread.

9. Re: Phoenix in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 24, 2014