We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

We will be driving from the GC to Phoenix in early October (arriving on a Friday), and staying for one night before flying out the next morning around 10am. I'm assuming that the car drop-off is somewhere near the airport. Just wanted some help in planning where to stay and when to drop the car off. I thought perhaps staying somewhere near the airport would be easiest. I'm not sure if we save any money by dropping the car off that evening and then taking a shuttle to the airport in the morning, but wondering if that is an easier option than trying to return the car in the morning anyway? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

I would look for a hotel with a shuttle service and drop the car off the night before. One less thing to worry about on your travel day.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

I would keep the car and stay wherever you want. The car will allow you the freedom you will need to stay in Tempe or Scottsdale which are places you can walk around and enjoy the restaurants etc. Returning a car at Sky Harbor is easy, just make sure you allow about 20 minutes to drop it off, get to the bus and have the bus get you to your terminal. They do this hundreds of times every day and know what they are doing.

Plus, airport hotels are boring and typically in areas with absolutely nothing to do. Why not enjoy your last night out?

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

I recommend the Courtyard Marriot on Ash in Tempe. Very close to the airport, and walkable to bars and restaurants on Mill Ave.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

Should have mentioned that we will have 2 young kids in tow, so won't exactly be partying while we're in Phoenix! Thanks for your suggestions everyone

5. Re: 1 night in Phoenix - advice re: car and accommodation please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 12, 2014