We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new things to do in phoenix

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
new things to do in phoenix

will be visiting our son who lives in gilbert in march for a week. have been there several times and am looking for something to do that we havent done. will be doing several spring training games but what else? have been to the heard museum, the zoo, botanical garden, science museum, hiked some trails at south mountain and a few other places. done the shops/ old town scottsdale, so now looking for some off the touristy paths now. we enjoy easy hiking and the sunshine that we dont see in cleveland at that time of year. a day trip is not out of the question either, have been to sedona and tuscon too on previous trips. any ideas? thanks :)

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Boyce Thompson Arboretum would make a nice day trip. It is 55 miles east of Phoenix in Superior. Lovely area with nice gentle trails.

http://arboretum.ag.arizona.edu/

Queen Creek Olive Mill is also a nice visit. The food there is wonderful. They also have half hour tours about the olives. Beautiful setting.

http://queencreekolivemill.com/

The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) in north Phoenix is a gem. We wanted to take my son and I wasn't sure how hubby would like it as he is not at all musically inclined. We spent 6 hours there.

http://mim.org/

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Drive out to Saguaro Lake for lunch at the diner and/or a paddle boat tour, or it's sister lake Canyon Lake and visit Tortilla Flat for a burger or beverage. They are beautiful to see that time of year. Agree with Thelrose, everyone is pleasantly surprised with the MIM, no matter what their interest is in music, it is done so well. And also agree with her Olive Mill recommendation, another pleasant surprise. Also take a look at Taliesin West in Scottsdale, it's a Frank Lloyd Wright home/school of architecture and the tours are also nicely done.

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new things to do in phoenix

In addition to what is listed above, it sounds like you've yet to do the Apache Trail. From Gilbert it is a pretty easy drive. Make your way to the US-60, take it east to Idaho, go north to Apache Trail, and take it east. You'll be winding your way through the mountains in no time. You can stop at Canyon Lake, and have lunch at Tortilla Flat.

cleveland ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new things to do in phoenix

thanks, we will check all the suggestions out. actually my son is a band director in gilbert, so I know he has suggested the MIM for this trip as well, he has been there numerous times but I have not been there yet. other than work, music and baseball however, he has not explored phoenix that much himself except what we have done when we have visited:)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,316 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Also have a look at information about Casa Grande Ruins National Monument (not to be confused with the town of Casa Grande) and Besh-Ba-Gowah Archaeological Park.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Casa Grande Ruins is outside Coolidge, AZ, which is just to the west of Florence. You could visit it and the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.

Besh-Ba-Gowah is in Globe, about 30 miles over the mountain east of Boyce Thompson.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Oh yes, Apache Trail is great, but be aware the pavement ends just past Canyon Lake/Tortilla Flat. Just outside Apache Junction on the Trail is Lost Dutchman State Park. Great views of the Superstitions and lots of hiking trails.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Two parks to check out, nice walking paths, lots of birds - Veterans Oasis Park in south Chandler, and the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch right in Gilbert.

And have you been to downtown Tempe? You can hike to the top of A mountain or walk along Town Lake and eat at your choice of restaurants - I recommend Monti's.

cleveland ohio
Level Contributor
147 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new things to do in phoenix

thanks everyone i keep taking notes. the riparian is right next door to the school my son teaches at so we have been there several times, although last time most of the little lakes were dried up. and we have been to the temp marketplace, but never hiked to the top of the A mountain.

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new things to do in phoenix

Don't forget Taliesen West for the Frank Lloyd Wright Museum. Wonderful tours available.