We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to phoenix area -Scottsdale or Goodyear.

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Topic
moving to phoenix area -Scottsdale or Goodyear.

Hoping to move this fall to the phoenix. Looking at jobs in GoodYear as well as Scottsdale. Job would be in the hospitals there. We will be bringing our 37ft 5th wheel to live in. Would like opinions on both areas as well as any info on RV parks close to these areas. We are in our 50's. We like to keep busy, love dancing, that is a must. Would like to be close to shopping and activities. Not into the bar scene. Don't mind a 1/2 hr commute but more than that would be too much. Also being Canadian, we would like opinions on the best Health plans available. Thanks for all your help. It will be much appreciated!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to phoenix area -Scottsdale or Goodyear.

Not sure on the health plans, but you two sound like social busy people. I would think scottsdale would be more to your liking as far as dancing, shopping etc..

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to phoenix area -Scottsdale or Goodyear.

I can't really offer specifics on Goodyear or RV parks, but I can say the two areas strike me as polar opposites. Goodyear used to be a sleepy town sort of separate and far out from Phoenix; it appears that it is now overrun with new development. Scottsdale, while priding itself on a "western town", has been a fully developed town for many years. Virtually anything "to do" in Goodyear will be newly built. (I've lived here 20 years, and I can't think of a single reason anyone in my family has ever been to Goodyear, or gone anywhere near it for any type of event.) Scottsdale has many restaurants, shops, venues, and events that are destinations for people that live in the rest of Phoenix and around the country. One of the reasons Goodyear is now getting developed is that housing is cheap(er) that far out. Scottsdale is the most expensive area around, although south Scottsdale is much more affordable than further north.

You mention you would be working within one city or the other. Certainly don't move to Goodyear if you work elsewhere - I-10 is the only way into Phoenix and it is a parking lot during rush hour.

On a broader note, you don't have to live within the cities of Goodyear or Scottsdale. Your choice would be (broadly, based on your desired commute) east side or west side of town. East side includes Scottsdale, parts of Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler and on out. West side is Goodyear, parts of Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Laveen, etc. There is another thread in this forum about areas of town to live generally that can give you a sense of the different dynamics.

Best of luck!