We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

My husband and I are coming to Phoenix for a long weekend at the end of November. We are going to the Grand Canyon overnight on Friday returning to Phoenix Saturday night. That leaves us with Sunday. Should we spend the day/evening in Phoenix, Mesa or Sedona? We want to take in the desert atmosphere and like to hike -- and would love a great Mexican meal. Any suggestions?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

If you have one full day, I would spend it in Sedona.

It's really not difficult to get an great Mexican food in the valley. Let us know where you'll be staying so we can recommend a place nearby.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

All great options Mary!

Any of them will allow you to experience the Sonoran Desert and get some great Mexican cuisine. Writing you from Mesa, we will suggest visiting Usery Mountain and/or Saguaro Lake, then head to Rancho de Tia Rosa's for lunch or dinner.

Usery Mountain Regional Park for hiking/biking http://goo.gl/Ox4rC

Desert Belle Paddleboat Cruise on Saguaro: http://goo.gl/ST4YW

Rancho de Tia Rosa's: http://goo.gl/6Cnfz

Maybe rent some bicycles to take to Usery: http://goo.gl/otYHL

Good luck! Let us know if you need any other suggestions, and let us know how your trip turns out!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

Suggest you spend Sunday in Phoenix/Mesa. You can drop by Sedona on the way back from Grand Canyon. At the end of November, temperatures will be quite tolerable for getting around and walking.

Depending on where you decide to stay, Saguaro Lake and the Desert Belle is a great suggestion. You also might consider the Desert Botanical Garden. There are great Mexican restaurants all over the area; however it is very spread out and sprawling. Let us know where you would like to stay, and we can provide recommendations.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

Thanks all. We are staying at the Sheraton downtown Phoenix just cuz that's where the conference is the next week.I know, nothing remarkable, but we get the company rate. Doing a fun weekend on the cheap. So, we'll be there Saturday and Sunday nights. Sedona on the way back from the Canyon might be a good solution to see all three places. Any more thoughts?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

There really is no great Mexican food in Sedona. Elote is, supposedly, "Mexican inspired", but I didn't really feel, or taste, the inspiration. I am not familiar with really good Mexican food in the Phoenix area, so I would go with the suggestions of the locals.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

The Matador - a downtown Phoenix favorite - closed a few months ago. However, there are a number of good Mexican restaurants in the Phoenix area.

Close to downtown is one of my favorites - the Azteca Bakery on 7th Ave. just to the west of downtown. Does wonderful machaca - a spicy beef. Not sure if it is open on Sundays. Very plain interior. You order at the counter and find a table. Often very, very busy at lunch during the week.

South of Chase Field (the baseball stadium) on Lincoln is the Tee Pee Tap. Good serviceable food. Used to frequent it until they changed the recipe for green chili - too bland for me.

On 16th Street east and a bit north of downtown is the Barrio Cafe. More Southwestern cuisine than Mexican but some great dishes.

Macayos is a local chain with sites throughout the Phoenix area. I generally take newbies to one who have not had Mexican food before. They don't overwhelm you with the spices, but it is good food. There is also a chain called Manuel's with sites throughout. Excellent green corn tamales.

Out here in Scottsdale, there are Los Olivos at the Civic Plaza (stay away from Los Olivos Norte) and Los Somberos on Scottsdale Road. Further north near Shea Blvd., there are at least two Ajo Al's. Just off Shea at Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. is the Blue Adobe Grille, which is more Southwestern cuisine but excellent.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

Thanks everyone. Great info!

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

Great Mexican food downtown can be found at Los Dos Molinos.

It's New Mexico style:

http://losdosmolinosphoenix.com/

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

if you're looking for mexican in sedona....avoid oaxaca like the plague.

10. Re: Got one day - spend it in Mesa, Phoenix or Sedona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 15, 2013