We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tombstone and Rawhide

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tombstone and Rawhide

Hi folks - first of all thanks for advice re: B&B's have decided on Ghost City Inn in Jerome as had good reviews from each reviewer.

But onto my question I have checked reviews on Tombstone & the new location for Rawhide as these are two places we were looking to visit but have to say been put off by the reviews to both of these as my husband would really like to see a good western shoot out/cookout etc. Therefore could anyone advise if indeed these are not good places to visit & if not can anyone recommend a place to visit that is a good representation of past westerns i.e with shootouts/rodeos/genuine Indian dances - in other words the full works etc.

Thanks

Great brickhill...
Level Contributor
243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

we went to tombstone a few years back loved the town , the shootout a bit cheesey thought , if your down that way tuscon studio did do a good shootout ( few years ago now ) and a beer festival cant be bad ?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

Both of these events are about as close as you will get to authentic shootouts, cookouts etc in Arizona. They are both enjoyable and if you are in the phoenix area Rawhide is still fairly close even after they moved.

Here is their site if you want to check out rawhide. http://www.rawhide.com/

If you are looking for something a bit more authentic you can do some searches on the internet for Hoop Dances in Phoenix or check out the heard museum site to see what will be going on there. They will not have cowboys, but any of the indian dancing they have will be authentic from the tribes within Arizona.

Having been a concierge at one of the nicest hotels here in valley I can honestly say that if you go to rawhide and have a cookout and then see one of the hoop dances or competitions in town it will be worth it.

One of the other ghost towns is on the way to apache lake called gold field. Here is the link for them as well. http://www.goldfieldghosttown.com/

It is only about 15 minutes from apache lake and on the other side of the lake is a really small town called Tortilla Flat. Once again, if you do some searches you will find some information on it. I wouldn't suggest the drive if you are just headed to Totilla Flat unless you are going for the scenery...as it is beautiful on the way to the lake and Tortilla Flat. But if you are at Gold Field ghost town, it's worth the extra drive. There is a steamboat ride on the lake as well named Dolly.

I hope this helps you enjoy your vacation to Phoenix. :)

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

Thanks for the info - I have checked the Ghost town site at Apache Junction on the internet and sounds great and looks like we will also be visiting Rawhide following your post - I will also check out the Heard Museum as this sounds great - I am finding out that 3wks is just not going to be enough time to visit your beautiful state so our trip of a lifetime may have to be the first trip and have to start saving for a 2nd trip as still so many places we would like to visit. Do you also know of any Rodeo's that take place around October time as someone advised that is also a must see?

Thanks

Phoenix
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

Hi, Sorry about that. I wasn't paying attention and missed your question. You'll have a good time with your choices. :) As for a rodeo, I see flyers for them all of the time but I did some checks and didn't see anything as far out as October.

You might be in some luck though, the Arizona State Fair will be in town during that time and they usually have some things such as rodeos and other events. They haven't posted the schedule yet and generally don't until we get a lot closer to October.

If you do a search for Arizona State Fair you will come up with some listings, just make sure it is for 2006.

Also, if you go to this site it lists most of the rodeos that are held in Phoenix. I didn't go through all of the schedule but I know that they keep them updated.

phoenix.about.com/od/sportsrodeo/index.htm

I've set it up to notify on future postings so I don't miss them. :)

Enjoy!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

You'll enjoy Rawhide - do the chuckwagon cookout in the evening if you can- it's fun and the food is good! We loved it. Tombstone is quite a drive from Phoenix...but that's all relative I guess. You'll love Arizona! Enjoy!

Great brickhill...
Level Contributor
243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

dont wish to but a downer on this but hasnt the new rawhide inchandler been absolutely pan on this site !!!!!!!!!!!!! be carefall

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

Thanks Bud41 I went onto the Arizona State Fair site so excellent tip and it is on exactly the time we are in Scottsdale so looks like we will hopefully get to see a rodeo and also insights into the American West which is why we are visiting Arizona - Also thanks to JVPhoenix & Raidersfan 21 - Looks like we will have to visit Rawhide if only to make up our own minds as to whether it is great or not - but we have already decided to do the sundown cookout as looks like everyone agrees that is a good bet no matter whether the old or new location. We have almost got our itinery together and will post it when complete to see if anyone has any comments as to whether it is a good list or if it would need tweaking so to speak.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

***Apologies*** should have said Thanks to JVPhoenix for Arizona state fair info & thanks to Bud41 & Raidersfan 21 for the info on Rawhide.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tombstone and Rawhide

Glad to be of help. :) If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll try to help out where I can.

From the sounds of it you should have a great time while your out here!

Get answers to your questions about Phoenix