We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Phoenix

Yardley, PA
1 post
Save Topic
One Day in Phoenix

My 12 year-old daughter and I will be in the Phoenix area (actually Chandler) for one Friday in May. What should we do? We like museums (but not all day) and I'd love to see some of the natural surroundings. Any suggestions?

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
842 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Phoenix

There's a train museum near downtown Chandler, worth an hour or so of looking around.

If you like to shop, the Chandler mall has the usual shops, a little on the upscale side.

If you want to do any Native American ruins, the Casa Grande ruins aren't too far away, you'd get out from the city, and see them at the same time.

A good 1/2 day drive is the Apache Trail. Take US60 East to Idaho Rd, go North, and follow the signs. The road goes up into the mountains, around Canyon Lake, and past Tortilla Flat. After that the pavement ends, so you may want to turn around and make your way back.

I live in Chandler, not too far from the downtown area. There's a large park called Tumbleweed with a tennis center (several courts), and a nice multi-use path along a canal for walking/jogging/biking, etc.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Phoenix

You might want to consider the Heard Museum in Central Phoenix for a couple of hours. It is a Native American museum and just a wonderful collection. Kids really like the kachinas and the hands on exhibits.

I would also recommend the Pueblo Grande ruins in East Phoenix (44th Street and Van Buren).

Just two thoughts for you.

Enjoy your stay in Phoenix!

Chandler, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
842 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Phoenix

<<snip>>I would also recommend the Pueblo Grande ruins in East Phoenix (44th Street and Van Buren). <<snip>>

I've never heard of this before, and I've driven Van Buren between Tempe and Phoenix many times. Is it near that Castle on the hill (Tovari or something like that)? Sounds like it is near the Chinese Cultural Center.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Phoenix

Try the Desert Botanical Gardens and the Heard Museum. I would suggest going to the Botanical Gardens in the morining (when its cooler) and the Heard Museum in the afternoon. After the Heard Museum head to the Arizona Center (3rd st. & Van Buren) for alittle shopping and dinner. The Arizona Center is very close to the Heard Museum.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Phoenix

desert_gecko,

My apologies. I wrote Van Buren and it is actually one mile south of that at 44th Street and Washington.

It is an interesting place to kill an hour with some great exhibitions and history. And at $2.00 for entrance, a real deal.

Best wishes!