We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
87 reviews
44 helpful votes
Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

I don't know if this tip has been posted, but I saved over $200 for a weekly car rental in Phoenix by reserving a car from an Enterprise off-airport site location. The site is on 7th Ave, is VERY close to Sky Harbor, and only a $20 taxi ride. In fact, the taxi ride was shorter than it would have been to take the airport shuttle to the airport rental car location with hoards of other people. Once I arrived at the off-site location, I was in my rental car and ready to drive away within 15 minutes. The staff there told me it was more convenient to return the car to the airport rather than their location because of unreliable taxis in the mornings, so for a negotiated $20 fee (usually $30), I returned the car to the airport. The staff off-site was super friendly and helpful, and the entire process was convenient and SO much cheaper than renting from the airport.

Texas
Level Contributor
500 posts
1. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

This is a great tip for those that dont fly frequently. Thanks for posting your experience.

For those that are considering this, just be aware that the hours of operations are different than those of the airport. So if it fits your plans, more power to you. :)

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
442 reviews
153 helpful votes
2. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

I got an even better deal than that by booking with Hotwire. Saved over $250.

Edited: 10:50 am, July 30, 2011
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
634 posts
221 reviews
117 helpful votes
3. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

I always find anything about airport car hire especially Phoenix airport interesting as we fly in from the UK. By the time we have got through immigration, etc all off site rental offices have closed leaving us no option but to use the on-airport car hire rentals. I have just looked up the Enterprise office quoted and note it closes at 6pm but what got my interest was the fact you have to pay a Spring training cactus league tax of $15.60 - whatever is that? Does not sound like something I would be prepared to pay!

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

I have to agree about Hotwire. I just again did my dates on off airport rental and it is higher than the price I got with Hotwire. Plus I have no taxi fees and don't have to negotiate to take the car back to the airport. I am glad you got a good deal, I just am hoping people will check all options when it comes to Sky Harbor. And don't forget you have tips for the taxi too.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
30 helpful votes
5. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

Actually I could have saved even more if I had waited until now (less than 2 weeks before trip) 8 day car rental full size at airport for my dates is now $230 taxes and everything included. Oh well, I look at that as money well spent for piece of mind for 49 bucks lol

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
103 reviews
149 helpful votes
6. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

> you have to pay a Spring training cactus league tax of $15.60 - whatever is that?

If you rent a car in Phoenix, you pay partially for the nice, new stadiums local governments have built for baseball spring training around the area. It's a common way to finance these projects: sell bonds, use the car rental fees to pay the interest on the bonds. Even Tucson has one.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,493 posts
97 reviews
100 helpful votes
7. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

Remember the Hertz commercials "not exactly?" Hotwire often has great rates for car rentals, but they also sometimes give you one of the "lower tier" non-major agencies. And you don't know until you have paid.

In most cities you can avoid airport taxes by renting off-airport. I would rather do that than take a chance on getting a "not exactly" major car rental company through Hotwire or another blind discount.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

Mine is National with Hotwire.. I don't think they use people that are not major. Dunno for sure but I have never had this happen. I know for sure I am on airport rental for sure on my dates for under off airport and saving 200 bucks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
9. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

Yep, the Hotwire Rental Car options for my September dates are "Guaranteed" to be one of the following "Major" rental companies at PHX:

Hertz

Avis

National

Alamo

Budget

Enterprise

Indiana
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Avoid sky high car rental charges at Phoenix Sky Harbor

I just booked a full size car on the Dollar website for pickup at Sky Harbor for 3 days, for a total of $125.28 (including taxes). I priced the same car for pick up off-site at Dollar and the total was $200.65. This is one instance where booking at Sky Harbor is cheaper thatn off-site. I know - I was surprised as well! I usually book off-site.

Edited: 9:30 am, August 09, 2011