We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which car rental company is best?

North Jersey
1 post
1 review
Which car rental company is best?

I will be vacationing in Phoenix from June 3-10 and I want to rent a car, but I keep reading terrible reviews of the car rental companies. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to which ones are the best? As much as I would love to save money, I no longer care about price after reading so many horror stories. I just want a reputable place that will not charge hidden fees or make me wait in line for hours. I am willing to use the companies in the airport or take a cab to one of the offsite locations.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Which car rental company is best?

There are numerous posts here with info about car rentals in Phoenix. Likely you are reading some reviews of the "off-brand" rental companies. Stick with the majors, such as Hertz, Avis, National, Thrifty, Alamo, Budget, Dollar, and you're less likely to have problems. It also helps to join a "frequent renter" club with a car rental company: Hertz - #1 Club; National - Emerald Club; Avis - My Avis; etc.

There are really no hidden fees. Some companies will try to sell you insurance, which is likely covered by your own auto insurance and/or your credit card, and upgrades. I am pretty sure they all give estimates including all local taxes and fees. If you use a travel service such as Travelocity they do show all fees, however only for airport rentals.

Most of the rental companies have off-airport locations. Go to their web sites to search. Be aware that these off-airport locations are usually open hours such as 8-6 M-F and abbreviated hours Sat/Sun. That info will also be on the web site.

As far as who's best, that would be Hertz IMO, and worth a few extra dollars for the service and reliability.

Edited: 3:03 pm, May 24, 2011
NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Which car rental company is best?

cab ride to offsite will be $15 minimum, which is what I do most of the time. Put a discount code and watch the rates drop more. Hertz on Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale is where I go 90 percent of the time.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Which car rental company is best?

If you are 50 years of age or older, join AARP and use their website to book car rentals. They have the major companies and i always save, sometimes lots and sometimes little. We were quoted a ridiculous $500+ for a one week rental out of SFO. I went on the AARP website, decided to take BART into the city from the airport and rent my car at my hotel (through Budget) the next morning and return to the airport a week later. Rental fee, with tax, is about $200 less.

The suggestion to join one of the loyalty clubs is a good one as well. You can call the reservations 800 line to speak to a representative about the advantages and how it would affect your rental specifically.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Which car rental company is best?

Where in Phoenix are you staying?

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
90 reviews
5. Re: Which car rental company is best?

In Phoenix it is possible to take the airport free shuttle to the light rail, then the light rail to a Hertz office near Indian School Rd and Central Ave. If arrival is within the hours of the location.

colonia
Level Contributor
33 posts
6. Re: Which car rental company is best?

I'm going to be in Phoenix on 6/1 for 4 nights. i have a reservation with Enterprise for 4 days with an Escape or similar for only $205 using an Entertainment Book 10% off coupon.

Warner Robins...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Which car rental company is best?

Looking at this company (Hertz) and location (Scottsdale Rd) for my Oct. trip. What kind of full size cars do they usually have? Need something very reliable as we will be traveling all week.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
90 reviews
8. Re: Which car rental company is best?

Hertz shows the types of cars it has on its web site. A standard full size could be from many brands. I consider any vehicle from Hertz reliable.

CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Which car rental company is best?

I rented with Hertz in early April. I booked full size and got a Chevy Impala with sirus radio. The next day, the low tire pressure message appeared on the display so I called them since I was going to have the car for another 4 days. I brought the car back and was given a choice of a Toyota Camry or a Nissan Altima. There were a few other models to choose from, but I needed a car with the GPS. Needless to say, I picked the Altima. It had only 3000 minutes and the keyless entry.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
1,338 reviews
10. Re: Which car rental company is best?

Booked twice with thrifty with no problems, always bring proof of insurance. I book as soon as I know my dates and then recheck prices closer to date to see if better prices from reputable companies.