We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

San JOse
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

Hi all,

please help me plan.

my husband and I will have a 2 day trip in arizona. We will have a car reay and arrving in friday nite in phoenix. So our plan is open for saturday and sunday all day. We definitely want to check out Grand Canyon and possibly try out this Jeep tour. Please help us plan! Tell me what city to stay in, the route and how long it takes to drive. Also couple of restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

48 hours isn't much time, but you could get a taste of GC and Sedona in that time (depending on time of year, weather, etc).

It's about 230 miles/4.5 hours from Phoenix to GC south rim if you take the most direct route. If you left early saturday, you could get to the canyon in time for lunch (I-17 to I-40 to st rt64 north), see the west rim drive, see sunset, and stay overnight in the park (www.grandcanyonlodges.com).

Then you could get up in time for sunrise sunday, and head out of the park along the east rim drive. Continue another 25 miles to us hwy89 south to Flagstaff, get on us hwy 89a for the scenic route into Sedona, take a jeep tour and then spend a night in Sedona. Then head back to San Jose Monday morning.

It's pretty rushed, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a vacation, but you would be hitting the high points!

San JOse
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

Hi, thanks so much for your response!

Actually....we were hoping to do it all in 1 day really.

We will be arriving 11/11 weekend. I was hoping to hit Sedona (maybe a jeep tour) then head over to grand canyon..check it out (dont need to see all the different rims, maybe just 1 highlight spot) then head back to phoenix...or possibly stay in grand canyon if need be.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

Round trip, phoenix to gc south rim shortest route both directions is about 10 hours of driving--that's with no stops, such as just going to Mather point (the first view point when you come in the south entrance). 11/11 sunrise is 7am, sunset about 5ish, so you'd be driving in the dark one way or the other if you didn't overnight at the canyon. If you then left for Phoenix on the quickest route (reverse it--az64 south to I-40east to I-17 south at Flagstaff), there is a turn-off for a "scenic viewpoint" south of Flagstaff on I-17 where you will get a fantastic overview of the red rocks of Sedona.

San JOse
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

Thanks so much for your information!

I think that just resolves my dilemma. 10 hour round trip is way too much to do in 1 day and plus...we are on vacation!!! So scratch the grand canyon idea.

What about from Phoenix to Sedona? Is that a long trip as well?

If not those ideas, can you recommend what places I should visit that is within reasonable driving 1.5 hours around phoenix?

Thanks so much!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my trip! 2 days in Arizona

Sedona is about 115 miles/2 hours from Phoenix. You'd take I-17 north to az hwy 179 Sedona/Oak Creek. For just a day trip you'll probably just have time for a jeep tour before heading back to Phoenix. Check out the Sedona forum for more info.

Get answers to your questions about Phoenix