We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Hi,

While we were in Miami last year we met a lovely couple from Phoenix and they said we should go and visit them one day.... is there much for a tourist to do and see there? It would only be my second trip to the states and I would love to be in the heart of 'real american life' rather that somewhere really really touristy.

Any ideas anyone?

x

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Halloween is much bigger than here - kids use pillowcases for their treats not tiny buckets but it is not as big in Phoenix as elsewhere in the US, we had a phenominal halloween in Michigan, virtually every house and front garden was decorated big time.

The weather around GC and Flagstaff can be snow cold around that time though!!

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

For another viewpoint from a visitor from the UK, read the thread "Phoenix is a bust" posted by s0436.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Hi - you already have some terrific advice and suggestions for your trip.

Arizona is amazing - full of contrasts, and totally unforgetable. Spend as long as you can - there is so much to see, do and experience. We spent 2 weeks travelling around and hardly scratched the surface.

Another suggestion - stay at a guest ranch.

There are several good ones in Arizona, but I can highly recommend The White Stallion Ranch near Tucson - www.wsranch.com

If you really want to experience good, old fashioned Arizona hospitality, then this is the place to visit.

We spent 5 nights there in May (a good time for weather and temperatures), and our only regret was that we had to leave!

For more info and photos, type "White Stallion" in the search box at the top left of this page. When the new page appears, you can read the TA user reviews and see some photos!

I can't recall if anyone else has said this - but if you are planning to stay inside the Grand Canyon National Park (the best option) - you must book very early. The lodges book up many months in advance and there are only a limited number of rooms.

Enjoy planning your trip! :)

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Hi princess

As previous posters have said Phoenix is basically just a large city, but Arizona, wow! I returned in May after spending several weeks in the area, not for the first time, and I'm already planning on how I can get back there!

www.nps.gov will give you information on all National Parks and Monuments and there are a lot of them in Arizona, check it out. www.arizonatourism.com will give you loads of information on what to see, what to do and where to stay in Arizona and www.desertusa.com will give you loads of information on just about everything.

Now back to the planning, perhaps if I sold my house?

Tony

Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

I just thought I'd chime in about the monsoons, as a previous post asked about them. The monsoon season starts around July and lasts through August usually into September. (We're still having a few of the storms) I personally love them because after spending a few really hot months, they come in and really cool things off for a while. Mind you it's still hot--110 degrees or so, but the storms can cool things off 20 degrees. They do make it kind of muggy, but nothing like the 90% humidity some places get in the East. They tend to come up in the afternoon, bring lots of wind, lots of lightning (some spectacular lightning shows!) downpours followed by occasional street and wash flooding. My favorite months here are October and April because the weather is just beautiful.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Hey thanks again!

I've got to say the biggest thank you to 'newtouristintown' ... Oh my god! I read every review for the White Stallion Ranch (and I reccomend that anyone considering visiting AZ does the same) it sounds fantastic!

I've never rode a horse, and if I'm honest, it's not one of the things I had ever wanted to do before... until I visited this site! The True family sound amazing, just the type of people I'd like to meet. I cant wait to go home and tell my boyfriend where we're going next! I only wish I could visit AZ this year, but my mind is made up and I cant wait to visit!!!

Thanks again everyone for the great advice, I am so excited for next year!!

XXX

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Would Phoenix make a good vacation destination??

Hi travelalots- we've just had 2 weeks in Az in August- and yes it did rain- but it wasnt like British rain!! It was that "warm day, bit of thunder, then bit of rain , then warm again " sort of rain, and it didnt stop us doing anything. There were some of the most dramatic thunderstorms I have ever seen. Only on one day did we get truly soaked, while swimming at Slide Rock park, near Sedona. But it was still warm! The only thing I would say is that one couple we met in Sedona had booked a jeep trip, and it started to rain on their trip, and so they couldnt get to where they had been expecting to go. So it may affect whether you choose to do a jeep trip . But dont miss Sedona out of your itinerary!

We hope to go back next year, and because we are limited by our school holidays, it will be August for us again, so the rain didnt put us off . ( Though I would LOVE to see those cactuses in the spring...........)