We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

I am planning a trip from Los Angeles to Sedona and unfortunately I just found out that my husband will not be joining me on my road trip from Los Angeles until we reach Phoenix and I will need to pick him up at Phoenix Airport on a Sunday.

I am a little scared since this is my first long road trip on my own and will be with my 13 year old son. Is Highway 10 pretty safe and can anyone recommend a couple of places where I can stop, rest and refuel? I am thinking we might stop in Palm Springs but will probably need to stop one more time since I am doing this drive on my own.

Also, is there somewhere close to the airport where we could wait for him to call us once he has arrived? And can I expect a lot of traffic in Phoenix on a Sunday.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

> can anyone recommend a couple of places where I can stop, rest and refuel?

The standard stopping place on that run is at the western Quartzsite exit at one of the truck stops. Last place to get gas before California. You should be fine. In Palm Springs, wait until you get out of Indio and hit Washington Street. The exits before are less developed and in sketchier areas. Good idea to take a break there. I'm always shocked at how long it takes to get to LA from Palm Springs.

> Also, is there somewhere close to the airport where we could wait for him to call us once he has arrived?

There is a free "Phone n' Go" lot on the west side of Phoenix airport. It's fairly well-signed and safe.

> And can I expect a lot of traffic in Phoenix on a Sunday.

They tend to randomly close freeways in the Phoenix area on weekends, so you should check the highway conditions (http://az511.com/hcrsweb/hcrsweb.jsp) beforehand. There are almost always ways around it. Otherwise, traffic should be light.

Arizona
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

Just an addendum to the above poster. There is also a "Phone n Go" lot on the east side of the airport. Both are safe and convenient.

You park for free (can't leave yoru car, though) and watch a board that updates the status of flights coming within the next hour or so. It's sort of reliable, but it gives you a ballpark idea of where your husband's flight is (en route, approaching, at gate, etc.). Have him call you when he's got his luggage and pick him right up.

Also, Sunday traffic, barring the aformentioned occasional closure is not a huge problem. However if you are going from Phoenix to Sedona this weekend (March 15-16), the overpass at the Carefree Hwy. is being demoloished and traffic is routed onto the on-ramps. Be prepared for delays. I'm afraid there's not much in the way of an alternate that would be any better.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

Thank you so much for your help. This forum is alway so helpful to me. It has helped put me at ease. Phone and go lot, that is a great idea! Why couldn't we think of that in LA?

Now I am excited about seeing Phoenix. I have never been there. I am even considering taking off really early from LA at about 5 or 6 am and get there early in Phoenix and check out the downtown area. Anywhere fun I can take a 13 year old and catch a bite to eat too?

Temecula, California
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
534 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

A couple of additional comments. We live in Temecula (Riverside Co.) and make the trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale every dummer.

Palm Desert, just past Palm Springs, is an easier off/on for a break. About 10-15 miles past the 111 exit into Palm Springs, start looking for signs that attract your fancy. Around Washington is good.

Quartzite might be a little on the iffy side for just you and a 13 year old. As far as the trip on I10, you'll be fine.

In Phoenix, you might score points with your 13 year old if you check out F1 Race Factory (which is very near the airport). It is an indoor go-kart track that has a pretty decent "diner" where you can eat and watch the races. There is also an arcade (more browinie points) and if you really want to score, let him race. Our first trip out my son was 13 and he raced, and he lists F1 as one of the highlights of our vacation. In fact we've been back every year since.

5. Re: Need advice on stops between Los Angeles to Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 23, 2009