We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Phoenix shortly, crime rate

moving to Phoenix shortly, crime rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:55 pm, April 22, 2013
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Phoenix shortly, crime rate

Get the latest issue (May 2005) of Phoenix Magazine. The whole issue is devoted to "Which Valley Cities Have the Best....." They devote space to taxes, crime rate, ratings, schools, etc. It will be a great resource for you.

Crime rate: like all cities, it depends on where you are. I'm sure you can think of parts of any city you've ever been in that you wouldn't go into at night, and by the same token, there are parts that you would walk in, alone, at night. Phoenix is the same way. Remember, Phoenix is ringed by suburb cities, and the whole mess of people/houses/cities makes up "The Valley."

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Phoenix shortly, crime rate

The things that really matter to me, like home burglaries, murders, armed robberies, etc. are pretty low. The auto thefts are some of the highest in the nation here, and that is well reflecting on the inflated insurance rates here.

I don't have numbers to prove it, but it seems like most of the crime happens in the older areas of the west side. This could be a result of the local news just covering more stories in Glendale, Tolleson, Laveen, Maryvale, etc. In general, Phoenix is a very safe metro area. It is growing very quickly, so most of the homes in the suburbs are new, and most of the people moving here are professionals or looking for a better life. The important part is that you feel safe. I heard the same thing about Phoenix before I moved here seven years ago, and I have always felt safe, and feel safer now that I did then.