We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

Is there a cheap(er) option to rent a car in Phoenix, AZ? We need a car for about 10 days and I can't find anything below $500-600... Now, in other places we went, the same amount of time costed about half of that. What's the deal with Phoenix?

12 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
9,412 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

I rent off airport at Enterprise. Less than a $10 uber from the airport.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
333 posts
114 reviews
2. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

It's dependent on time of yr., who's in town(games, etc.) when there is something big going on or it's winter every where else. Then prices go up. Because of the climate it's always more pricey. Especially if renting at the airport. If you are flying in try an off site rental, all the big names have off site. You would have get a ride to the off site plus return to same to save money, and a ride back to airport, but times depending on your time frame it's cheaper when you throw in the ride to and from airport.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

If you decide to rent at an off airport site, make sure their office hours works with your flight schedule.

Lots of posts on this forum regarding this topic, if you put in "rental cars" in the search box above.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

We rent from a location on East Indian School Road and have saved up to $400 on a week's rental. We take a cab from Sky Harbor--takes about 15-20 minutes in non rush hour traffic and costs us about $20. We return at the airport with no drop fee.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

Car rental pricing is really variable. It's not like hotels or flights, where it's better to book in advance because prices will likely only go up. My experience with PHX has actually been that it's best to wait because it always goes down. The exception is baseball spring training, late March through April. If you're coming then, then there's little you can do to avoid the cost. Even the off-airport locations will be high. Even Tucson is high.

My advice would be to book something and have a plan for reaching it. If you go off-airport, make sure you research the open hours as they're limited on evenings and weekends (and usually closed holidays). Enterprise, Hertz and Avis/Budget all have locations that are fairly close to the airport. But do not pay in advance for the reservation. Continue to check the airport periodically to see if prices dip. If they do, you can change your reservation; if they don't, then you have a reservation. I've done this several times with PHX, and I've only had to rent off-site once because it was significantly cheaper.

But, all in all, I find reaching the rental car center at PHX to be inconvenient; just as, if not more, inconvenient than taking a taxi off-site to get the rental car. So I don't think it's a big deal to go off-airport if that's what ends up being best.

chicago
Level Contributor
9,412 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

Colin- I agree. That rental center at the airport is poor. It's a long slow bus ride to get there. Not fun at all.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,143 posts
249 reviews
7. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

The simple answer is market demands and functions. Having recently returned from a trip to Detroit I’ll say that car rental procedure there is much more inconvenient than at Sky Harbor.

As to the OPs desire for cheaper options, one can save some tax dollars by renting offsite. But actual savings will be dependent on other factors including flight times and dates and vehicle availability. We’re entering the busier season in Arizona. Rental agencies will be increasing their inventory by moving fleets from other markets to accommodate demand, but prices will naturally rise.

Many posters in this forum advocate Costco Travel as the best search and booking agency. Best general advice, especially if driving out of the local Phoenix area, is to rent from the major companies.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,887 posts
449 reviews
8. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

In any major market today, $50-60/day for a rental car from one of the majors is pretty standard. It may fluctuate here and there but what you're seeing is the market today. As noted, you can usually save plenty by going off airport. In PHX, where you already have a long shuttle to car rental, it's not such a bad deal to use a non-airport location. In many cases, if you rent off airport you can return to the airport. Check that first.

Good luck.

DeForest, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

I'd jump on $50-60 per day in a heartbeat, especially as we get into the busy season. You can always cancel if you find a better rate. There is also Turo, which should be a bit cheaper and offers airport delivery.

Enjoy!

S B
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
10. Re: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ

Try kingofcarrentals.com he is cheap and really good.

Reply to: Car rental in Phoenix, AZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted