We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phienix -Sedona- Grand Canyon -Las Vegas in 5 days?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Phienix -Sedona- Grand Canyon -Las Vegas in 5 days?

Thank you very much, guys for the great responces to my previous post. We are traveling with two 10-year olds for the part of their spring break (April 4 - April 9). We arrive in Phoenix late in the evening, go to Paradise Valley hotel for the night --> in the morning (day 1) head out to either Apache drive or Organ Pipe Cactus NP (which one would you advise?) --> Return to hotel (take a city walk) --> next morning (day 2) leave for Grand Canyon via Sedona (stop for hiking), Montezuma Castle (stop for looking), Montezuma Well and Flagstaff. Should we stop at Flagstaff observatory in the evening? ---> Continue to Grand Canyon South Rim entrance --> stay overnight at the Red Feather Lodge at TUSAYAN --> spend the following day (day 3) exploring GC--> Leave in the afternoon for Las Vegas hotel for 2 nights (should we drive route 66? For the part of the way?) -- > spend next day (day 4) in the city-->night in LV hotel --> last day (day 5) - possibly drive to the new West GC Skywalk --> get back to Vegas --> fly home late at night. Am I making correct estimations? Is all this doable? Is it too much? Too little? Alternative suggestuions? What about Sedona? What should I pick for the few hours we are there? There seems to be soo much to see there...

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phienix -Sedona- Grand Canyon -Las Vegas in 5 days?

It's always tough to figure how children will react to being in a car for so many hours while travelling. You've got a great trip going into Organ Pipe, Sedona where the kids can explore Oak Creek and possibly slide rock depending on weather. Flagstaff into Grand Canyon is nice. Just outside of Williams is a cute deer farm where you can feed, pet, and photograph deer and other animals. Could be fun for the kids. On the way to Vegas you'll pass Dolan Springs and the turnoff to the West Rim and the skywalk. Please be aware, I've been going there for 18 years, and for a family of 4 to get into the West Rim with access to the viewpoints and 15 minute tickets to walk on the skywalk - you'll be paying $75 EACH! There is no hiking or really much activiy for the kids so I personally would think long and hard about going there. Skip route 66 - bypass both the West Rim and the Grand Canyon Caverns ( a dry cavern on route 66 where you can take dull tours ) and head to Vegas. Don't try to pack too much into one trip. Take time to really enjoy.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phienix -Sedona- Grand Canyon -Las Vegas in 5 days?

Thank you very much, Concertpix! I definitely would be tempted to drive route 66, now I know I shouldn't. I read some of the discussions in the TA forums about the West Rim

And I don't think I will go to the Skywalk now that I know the real price (I thought it was $25 and didn't know about other charges).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phienix -Sedona- Grand Canyon -Las Vegas in 5 days?

It's $ 75,-- all right (not right?). Visiting Organ Pipes is nice but it will take all day from Phx and I don't think it's that interesting (I like Saquaro NP in Tucson better). To combine your trip you might drive from Phx to Apache Junction to visit Goldfield Ghosttown. Then drive the Apache Trail to Lake Roosevelt, to Payson and by az260 to Montezuma Castle and to Sedona. This will be a long day but it's feasible. Stay the night in Sedona. Take the Pink Jeep tour next morning and drive to GCSR through Oak Creek Canyon and Flagstaff. Driving R66 or not? Well, we did for nostalgia. Nothing special but I would not have missed it. Still sound magical R66.

Another option from Sedona is to drive Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff and us89 to the Wupatki/Sunset Crater Volcano loop. Then to Cameron for a visit to the Trading Post and then entering Grand Canyon NP by its east entrance. Don't forget to stop at Desert View and drive to the Village for the night. Also don't forget to stop at Hoover Dam before driving to Las Vegas.

Tet

4. Re: Phienix -Sedona- Grand Canyon -Las Vegas in 5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 15, 2009