We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

wp, ny
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

We are looking for some R&R that you would normally find in the Caribbean, but obviously the Caribbean is not a choice at the moment.

Which resorts in the Tucson/ Phoenix/ Scottsdale area would give a 40 year old couple enough to do where they could relax poolside during the day but still not feel like you are stuck with one pool and your hotel room?

Which resorts are best for long term stays? And are any an uber ride away from another restaurant/bar choice?

12 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

That depends. Are you looking for activities within the resort, or resorts that are close to activities? What kind of activities are of interest to you? (Hiking, shopping, restaurants, museums, etc.) Also, what's your budget, and what time of year?

One thing you might consider is a dude ranch, if you enjoy horseback riding. Near Tucson is the White Stallion Ranch; near Wickenburg is Rancho de los Caballeros. Both have pools; the latter also has golf and spa.

Otherwise, in Phx/Scottsdale, choose a resort somewhat close to restaurants and shopping, such as the Westin Kierland (directly across from Kierland Commons), or the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, or the Phoenician (assuming their renovations are completed by the time of your visit.)

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
1,292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

I would second Hummingbird's suggestions on the resorts in the Scottsdale area. I would also like to add The Omni onto that list. Plenty to do in the Kierland area, as well as Old Town Scottsdale area.

wp, ny
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

Great thank you!

Really we just want to relax by the pool and then have dinner choices at night. Not so much looking for tons of events.

Thinking though that if the resort is big enough or has enough different areas - i.e. a pool way over by one building and another one on the other side - that it will feel like we are getting around.

I wish we could do Kierland - it is totally booked when we are traveling.

It was my number one place, hence the scramble now.

We are traveling in mid-October.

And it does feel like everyone is currently renovating - Arizona Grand, And the hiltons. I will check on the others, thank you!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

You might look at the Camelback Inn or The Royal Palms. Both are situated kind of between the Scottsdale and Phoenix restaurant /bar areas but not too far from either giving you a lot of choices.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

To the good suggestions above add in the Hyatt Gainey Ranch, and I will second the Marriott Camelback Inn, Omni and the Fairmont Princess. Also the AZ Biltmore!

Edited: 11:40 pm, September 18, 2017
wp, ny
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

Thank you all so much!

I truly appreciate the help!

This trip is to make up for a failed vacation attempt in August wherein we were robbed and injured.

I just want one nice trip where we relax and start to get over our August.

I always love the Tripadvisor family!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

Oh, wow! I'm sorry to hear about your August trip!! :( Hope you're all ok, and yes, you definitely need a relaxing vacation this time! I'm thinking maybe the Omni or Princess? They both have multiple pools, restaurants, and a fabulous spa! Check websites like Travelzoo, Groupon, etc. for Omni deals, and sometimes Princess deals. There are a few other boutique hotels around Phoenix that are great for couples, but those only have 1 pool and 1 restaurant on-site.

Level Contributor
3,456 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

I stayed at the Omni in July. The spa was lovely & the view from that small pool was delightful. The main pool looked nice. I was there for work & never got there. The grounds were very nice and it really did feel like you were in a resort.

wp, ny
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

I want to thank everyone for their help!

Would you believe so many you listed are already full?

I am sure you would since they are amazing.

We are trying to determine if we go to Tapitio or splurge for Scottsdale Gainey Ranch.

Arizona Grand apparently only has the waterpark open on weekends and squak has bad reviews on the waterpark.

I know everyone's situation is different. And these are two very different resorts.

But is Tapatio even big enough for 6 days? I am leaning towards the splurge, but want to make sure it is worth it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?

Unfortunately the Pointe Squaw Peak has seen better days. There is really no choice between the Pointe Tapatio and Squaw Peak. The restaurants are far better, the hotel is in better shape, Squaw Peak is drawing a trashy clientele now, and the water park at Tapatio is much better.

Reply to: Resort that will keep you busy for 6 days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted