We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peoria

Long Island
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
peoria

is peoria a nice town to stay in for a couple of nights? I haven't found much info on this town.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,594 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: peoria

It's a suburb of PHX. It's not far from Glendale where the football stadium is, and close to all of the Sun City developments where everyones' grandparents live, but it's not much of a tourist destination.

Where are you going and what do you think you want to do?

Long Island
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peoria

flying to PHX from NY and spending 11 days in AZ! We are a family of 5- my husband and I and three kids- 11, 9, 3.

I think I have a potential plan but if you have suugestions- feel free!

Day 1- Fly into PHX and stay the day and 1 night.

Day 2- Drive to sedona and check in for 7 nights.

Do and see everything we can in Sedona- I have a list of sites and towns.

Spend 2 days, of those 8, in the GC- making sure to see sunrise and sunset.

Last 2 days we plan on staying near Peoria or somewhere south so we can be closer to the airport and perhaps see the Scottsdale area.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peoria

I used to live in Peoria; yes, for the most part it's a nice area. However, it's not where most people stay if they are looking to sightsee, and it's not close to the airport. It is close to Glendale's downtown area with antique shops, the Glendale stadium, and Westgate City Center. However, unless you're planning to spend most of your time at those three areas, I would recommend staying closer to Central Phoenix or Scottsdale.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peoria

I would also recommend staying in the Scottsdale area. There are many choices for hotels/resorts as well as dining of all sorts. It takes no more than 30 minutes to get to the airport - even less if you are near downtown.

If you are coming this summer you will have a great variety of top notch resorts at bargain prices. Let us know what you're looking for and we can try to point you in the right direction.

Long Island
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peoria

Thanks very much- I guess Peoria wouldn't be the best choice for us....my husband gets a great discount at the JW Marriott in Phoenix- how is that?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peoria

The JW Marriotts would be a great choice - there's actually two of them, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, and the JW Marriott Camelback Inn. Desert Ridge is further north, but close to shops, restaurants, and the 101 freeway for easy access to other parts of the Valley. They have a great pool area with lazy river, and nice rooms in a large hotel style with several floors.

Camelback Inn is a resort located closer to Old Town Scottsdale, near Camelback Mountain. It's more spread out, with "casita" type buildings, instead of having all the rooms in a large, multi-story structure. Their spa is top-notch, as well, and the views in general are gorgeous. I prefer Camelback over Desert Ridge, but I love the views of the desert and Camelback Mountain. Either resort would be a good choice for location.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: peoria

Clarification on that last sentence - I meant that the location of either resort would be good b/c of their proximity and easy access to Scottsdale and other tourist areas. As a bonus for the Desert Ridge location, it's closer to Cave Creek/Carefree, which would be an excellent place to spend part of a day.

8. Re: peoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 02, 2010