We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

Which Peach Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Topic
What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

My husband and children are going on the one-day rafting trip and I would love to go with them, but my mom is coming with us and does not want to go on the rafting trip.

What is there to do in Peach Springs that she might be able to do or see while we are waiting, that does not require driving? If I can occupy her, I might be able to go ont he rafting trip too!!!

9 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,982 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

Does she like trains? Other than watching the trains go by, there is not much to do in that town.

Further down the road is the Grand Canyon Caverns, but that involves a drive.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

Do any tour companies leave from Peach Springs other than the raft trip?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,708 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

Not much to do, but maybe a tour to the Skywalk. http://www.grandcanyonwest.com/ It is expensive but something more to do than sitting at the Hualapai Lodge hotel lobby and restaurant all day. (Though a day sitting and watching people, reading a book may be something she'd like to do) Is she able (and willing) to do a tour on her own?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

The outfitter might, allow you to "ride along" if the trip is being recovered down "wash" from Peach Springs ... carracar

Edited: 7:40 pm, June 16, 2013
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

The "Skywalk" is several hours drive from Peach Springs over passable highways. There are reservation roads indicated on some maps of a more direct route, but these are unimproved dirt roads not for rental cars. There is nothing to do in Peach Springs. At the lodge you may be able to arrange a trip down Diamond Creek to the Grand Canyon, the only such place where you can drive to the river. DO not drive your own car there however.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

Thank you all for the info and for the suggestions. I hate to ditch my mom with nothing to do, but rafting the Grand Canyon even if it is only a one day trip, would be a once in a lifetime experience!!!! I REALLY DONT WANT TO MISS IT!!!

Cheers!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

This particular commercial "offering" ... Might well then, give you some insight as to what a "once in a lifetime" Colorado River touring experience ...can be...upstream... of this sorry promotions, "put in" ... carracar

Edited: 10:39 am, June 18, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,131 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

Understand that you won't really be rafting the Grand Canyon on this trip, and tat while you'll be gone all day, you'll only be on the river for about half of that time. This trip is designed for travelers who cannot or will not budget the time that is really required to raft the Grand Canyon. A full canyon trip takes a minimum of a week. What you'll actually be doing is riding a raft in the extreme western region of the Grand Canyon. The full canyon is well over 200 miles of the Colorado river. You'll be seeing part of the last 20% in an area where the canyon walls are several thousand feet lower than they are upstream in the heart of the canyon.

So you'll be able to claim with truth that you were on a raft on the Colorado river in the Grand Canyon. But be careful not to brag that you rafted the Grand Canyon. Those are two different claims. Only one is truly a trip of a lifetime.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip

We know that the excursion is to the west of the actual park, shorter walls, tiny distance, etc., but we passing through and only have a limited time and I doubt we'll be back out that way (limited funds, no vacation time, medical issue, etc.). As much as we would love to spend a week or two on the river, we just can't. Sometime you just make the best of the situation, and 3-4 hours on the river is better than zero. The next day we'll drive to the Grand Canyon South Rim Visitor's Center and take advantage of the park and ride trolley system and that evening we will drive to Page. We want to visit Antelope Canyon, but I'll ask my questions about that area in a different forum.

Thank you all for all the info you have provided.

Reply to: What do do while the family is doing 1 day raft trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted