We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

Help please...... staying on the strip.. one day trip to grand canyon. Can't seem to find much info on west rim, its closer.. but is it worth saving the time? Mainly interested in taking pics... perhaps buying a couple things... The Indian Reservation I keep reading about... do you HAVE to do a tour with them in order to see the canyon?

Iowa
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

Hi Angel,

We are going in June, but from a couple things I have read, the west rim doesn't give you the "true" GC experience, so I would make the trip to the south rim if I were you. I have also been told you HAVE to see a sunrise or sunset. We were lucky enough last week to snag a room on the south rim, so hopefully we will get to see both!

Have a great trip!!

Level Contributor
231 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

the west rim is not part of grand canyon national park. it is owned by the tribe. in order to tour the west rim you have to buy a package from this tribe. the minimum cost of doing this tour with the skywalk is $75 a person. please read the reviews on the skywalk on this page for more information about the tour.

you might want to repost this in the actual GCNP forum. there are a lot of helpful people on that forum.

the south rim is a 4-5 hour drive away from vegas.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,287 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

I would definitely recommend the GCNP South Rim. And as mentioned above, get a room for the night if you can.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

The west rim is kind of a joke for the true Ohh and Ahh effect do the S rim. If you go to the west rim and visit the sky walk it will cost you an average of $80 pp just to go on the silly thing and you can't take any photos. Closer may not always be better.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

Yes, but, the skywalk won't be finished when 'Angel120549' and 'boaterkathy' make their trips in .... 2005.

6. Re: Grand Canyon This Week From Vegas.. west or south rim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 30, 2009