We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Payson

Which Payson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Payson

I'm staying in a cabin in Payson for 2 nights as a little getaway from Phoenix with my mom. We plan on doing some sight seeing and I wanted to see if anyone could give me more ideas. We plan on doing Tonto Bridge. Other places I'm thinking of are Zane Grey Museum, Tonto Fish Hatchery. I also want to find some nice overlooks, over the Mogollon Rim. We are staying in Christopher Creek near the Whispering Hope Ranch. Any suggestions for good lookouts at the rim? How about a good steakhouse? Any other places I should think of visiting? My mom's mobility is limited so I can't hike, boat, bike etc...

tucson
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Payson

From a seasoned Mogollon Rim explorer from Tucson.

Drive the Mogollon Rim Road (FS 300). Dirt road but pretty well mantained. Passenger car OK especially if not a tiny flimsy foreign job. You can start from Woods Canyon Lake and travel into Pine and Strawberry then back into Payson. Allow a half-day to traverse the road this entire distance (about 30-35 miles). Awesome scenery overlooks without any or much walking. Can't be missed.

There is also a Rim Country Archeology Museum near the Green Valley/Zane Grey one that is very interesting.

Nice grassy areas with lakes, benches, and picnic areas at Green Valley Park where the ZG museum is. Sometimes very interesting birds are there also.

Small historic museum in Pine/Strawberry and a very old small historic schoolhouse.

Also some small and quaint shopping villages in the area. Inquire at your lodge.

The Tonto Fish Hatchery is a hoot ! ! There is a large demonstration trout pond with some of the largest trout on Earth. They are so big because you can buy handfuls of food pellets for 25 cents each and feed the fish. Then watch the amazing feeding frenzy as they almost jump out of the water to get at you and the food ! !

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Payson

Your Mom might like browsing some of the antique shops there in Payson. There are several right along the Hwy 87. Enjoy the break from the heat!!