We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconuts Resort for Samoa first timers??

Which Apia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Island, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coconuts Resort for Samoa first timers??

Hi all, we are looking at heading to Samoa for 2 weeks at the beginning of June 2014. We are looking at coconuts resort but would welcome any suggestions for great family resorts where snorkeling and swimming are great! We are going from NZ as 2 family's of 2A +2C. We would like some advice on the following if possible...

-what are the family accommodation options, we would like both families side by side and hopefully in 2 bedrooms.. Is this possible??

-meal plans, we thought about just breakfast and dinner, do they do them, is it worth it??

-snorkeling is quite important to us so what is the quality like or do you have to travel? Is it worth taking our own snorkeling gear?

-what are the kids pools like, our kids are aged 9-14 so want a reasonable size pool for them?

We appreciate any advice on anything Coconuts so thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers Barry!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coconuts Resort for Samoa first timers??

Hi Barry,

We had our first trip to Samoa last year and stayed at Coconuts. Loved it! The best option for you would be to stay in the beach fales which face the beach, they have an extra room where kids can sleep. From memory there was a very large two storey option which we noticed had quite a few staying in it, that's if you want to share with your friends. There are quite a few of the beach fales so you could easily book two side by side. The pool is more than ample for quite a few people. We stayed out of the school holidays so I'm not sure how busy the pool would be within the school holidays. We had the pool to ourselves most of the time. (There is a swim up bar there also). Plenty of lounge chairs surround the pool for a spot to read!

Please check with Coconuts that they will take the 9 year old. We made friends with a NZ couple that had their 9 year old there so I presume it's okay as long as you don't want to stay in the overwater fales.

There have been a few bad reports on Trip Advisor for Coconuts but we did not have any problems at all. The rooms are cleaned everyday although often at different times. Our room was cleaned mid morning to mid afternoon everyday with clean towels, clean sheets on the bed and a fully restocked bar fridge everyday (that cost for the bar fridge is part of the accom. cost).

We did not book the meal package and were glad of that. The package is for three meals a day and works out to be quite expensive. A couple from Sydney that were there at the same time as us only lasted a couple of days on it before they found it was too much food for them.We traveled around a bit through the day and with the heat, snorkeling, kayaking and other things on offer we didn't find we needed three meals a day. We would often just have a muesli bar for a snack (make sure you take some and declare them at the airport, you'll get through customs much quicker). The restaurant prices are similar to a half decent cafe in Australia.

As for the snorkeling you can do plenty just off the beach. We took our own masks and snorkels and just used Coconuts fins (rather large to pack anyway) which we found was the best option. They didn't even mind when we took them on a day trip to Lalomanu Beach. The snorkeling off the beach is not the best in Samoa but quite enough to keep me entertained when my husband was off surfing with the resident surf guide Neil. He has many trips you can do eg. hiking, kayaking, surf lessons, surfing for experienced guys as well as snorkeling trips. He was fantastic. He took four of us to Black Sands Beach for a snorkel one day (his cost is on top of your stay) which I have to say was to best snorkeling we did in Samoa. The area is a small cove which protected the coral from the tsunami and cyclone.

We saw plenty of turtles just off the pier for the overwater fales. I even saw one when I went snorkeling of the beach at Coconuts

If you would like different meal options there is the local cafe right next door (Lupes) which we ate at a few times. Some say the hygiene there is not the best but we had no problems, not to mention the food was very cheap and so were the drinks. If you want even more food/drink options there is Sinalei resort on the other side of Lupes. Just a few metres walk along the beach.

We loved the Cultural Day and fia fia night which is on Saturday - don't miss it!! The whole show is put on by the Coconuts staff and is a definite must to partake of (no added cost). Sinalei resort has theirs on a Wednesday and they have a buffet (which I am told was quite expensive but the food is great). They bring in a group from outside the resort to do the show.

Sunday at Coconuts was also a wonderful experience, we went to the local village church and enjoyed the singing. Didn't understand any of the service of course, being held in Samoan. The children's and youth's choir were a joy to listen too. The whole congregation dresses in white.

Our travel agent knew nothing of Samoa and wanted as much info as she could get when we returned. Pity now that we didn't speak to others. I must recommend that you try and stay over on Savaii for part of your stay (unless you are able to go to Samoa again). Sadly we did not get to Savaii, even though I would have loved too. Coconuts is really just too far to travel to the other island. By the time you get over there you would barely have time to look around before having to catch the ferry back again. (just a suggestion).

Depending on what type of holiday you are looking for - if just for a relax then by all means stay the whole time at Coconuts. Or, if you are people like us that like to explore as well as relax then may I suggest you don't spend the whole two weeks at the one place.

I hope I haven't bored you with my long post - if I can be of any more help with info on Coconuts don't hesitate to ask!

North Island, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Coconuts Resort for Samoa first timers??

Thanks for the great response, lots of food for thought thanks.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coconuts Resort for Samoa first timers??

i agree with russ and andrea

especially re the meal plan, while i have never stayed at coconuts i have visited there many times and eaten there. I would suggest not to get the plan so ( like russ suggested) you go and visit other places, it is a nice way to check out the island and discover new places.

I love the food and drinks at lupes ( right next door to coconuts) and we often make a special drive out to enjoy a lazy meal at lupes. the prices are really reasonable and i also have never had a problem.

Sinalei also a never short walk ( 3-5 mins along the beach) is a wonderful place to visit, it is a gorgeous oasis. and they have a restaurant on the jetty, a favourite thing of ours to do is jump off the jetty into a cool fresh water hole in the seawater ! its amazing.

the new return to paradise beach resort will also be open when you visit and they have a famous award winning chef from NZ. so that might be worth a look see !

i would also highly recommend a day trip to lalomanu beach, and the ocean trench, a great place for lunch would be sea breeze resort, or aga reef resort.

enjoy your stay

sue

4. Re: Coconuts Resort for Samoa first timers??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 05, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Apia