We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

Raglan, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

Hi there,

I am visiting Samoa in October for 1 week. I will be staying on the south beaches- TAufua and Sinalei. I have hired a car and plan to return it and leave at the airport. My flight leaves at 1:50 am on a Friday. I had planned to book a room close to the airport on the Friday but Aggie greys was more expensive than I had anticipated. What do most people do for these flights?? Wait around the airport earlier ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

Malo lava Raglan7

Check out Airport Lodge, Le Vasa Resort and Transit Motel. They are all within 15 mins drive to the airport and have transfers. If it's just somewhere to lay your head until midnight then you can probably get a ""day room" for a lower price. Just email them and ask if they have a day rate. Alternatively, you should be able to get a transfer from Taufua or Sinalei for any flight which would be a better option than paying for more accommodation. Check that out prior to contacting the other accommodation.

You can't actually hang around the airport as it's only open for arrivals and departures so unless it's a busy night it will be shut until around 11.30-12. It really isn't a great place to spend a lot of time in.

Hope this helps

Manuia le aso

Deb

Raglan, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

Great advice. Thank you Deb, much appreciated.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

You're welcome

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

Hi,

Deb is right, airport not so nice to spend a long time in. Sinalei should have a courtesy bus and if no one is being collected/dropped off for that flight check with Coconuts resort next door to Sinalei they may have a pick up/drop off and you can catch their bus. Coconuts and Sinalei are next door to each other.

Regards

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
505 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

It depends if you want to have a sleep that day or not.

I have tried spending the day at Aggies- they are happy to have day visitors and have a free shuttle to the airport about 11.30 or 12.

I found I got very tired of 'hanging out' and wished I had a room to go to.

next time I booked a room at Amanaki in Apia ( 220 tala )and had a nap in the afternoon, enjoyed the pool and a meal, a shower etc then caught a taxi to the airport at 11.30 pm (50 tala booked privately, 65 through the hotel)

Another time i went cheaper because i didnt want to spend so much on half a day and stayed in the backpacker side of Hotel Elisa, still get a room and use of the pool, but its basic and the bathrooms are shared ( cost 60 single and 65 double)

I prefer to stay at a place with a pool on my last day and neither the Transit motel or the Airport Lodge have one.

Le Vasa is lovely but reasonably expensive- the do have a day rate for late visitors flying out late, it includes use of the pool , showers etc but no room, I think it was about 40 tala.

Myself I would probably go to Apia the day before, sort your car out ( ask for a discout , they normally charge an extra 50 - 100 tala for pick up and drop off from the airport) then get a room in Apia and book a taxi for 11.30 pm- take the Taxi drivers number if you book your own so you can ring if you are worried about reliability.

I have used Tevita a few times, he is 50 tala (always confirm the price at the begining of your arrangement with all taxi drivers) phone 759 64 93 ( 685) prefix if you are using an overseas mobile.

He normally hangs out by the info centre in Apia.

If you arrange a shuttle the most common one is run by Tauiliili, he is very nice but will often tell you it is 25 tala pp then when you arrive at the airport he will say there werent enough passengers to make a shuttle and charge you 65 tala .

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

I'd still check the transfer service from Sinalei or Taufua (whichever you stay in last), it'd save you getting another room anywhere.

Raglan, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

Fantastic thank you, Yeah i had hired the car up until the night we leave thinking i could drive it to the airport from lalomanu. The reality of driving at night on the unfamiliar roads has set in so now am considering staying in town on the Friday night , sort the car - day rate accommodation and shuttle/taxi to airport.

Thank you everyone for your advice .

8. Re: 1:50 am departure. How to spend that time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 20, 2014