We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samaon currency

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Samaon currency

A group of 10 of us will be in Samoa next month and are wondering the best way to take our money. Which currency is best? Had heard NZ dollars are accepted??? Is this correct.? Are there credit card facilities available or will we need cash for most things during our stay? Are there any ATM outside Apia? We are spending 3 nights on Savaii as well as time on Upolu. Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samaon currency

i would get some samoan tala for sure, you can exchange at the airport, i am not sure if NZ dollars are accepted? so i wont comment on that!

most places like the ones you are staying at such as aggies, sinalei will accept credit cards, there are ATM machines around, but i would get some tala before heading over to savaii,

you wont have any problem paying with credit cards for accomodation, but for things to visit, ie waterfalls, swimming with turtles, etc etc you wil need cash.

its also very accepted in samoa to resort hop, so you can visit other resorts for a meal drink!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samaon currency

Malo lava

No other currency is accepted in Samoa except tala. I know a taxi driver who accepted 50,000 baht from a Thai tourist because he thought it was a great deal of money, he took it to the bank and they laughed at him and wouldn't even exchange it - he now has it as a showpiece in his cab!!!!

Don't exchange any money in Aust before you leave as you'll be ripped off, most places give an abysmal rate, particular Travelex at all our airports.

There are 2 tellers and 2 ATMs at the airport. Just turn right as you leave the customs hall. They are Westpac and ANZ and you will get a higher rate from the Westpac ATM than the other 3, it is hidden at the side of the Westpac teller. If you have Aussie $ to exchange and are going into Apia go to 1 of the 3 Western Union offices in town, you'll get a much higher rate than any bank, I believe it's sitting at $AU1 = ST2.35

Credit cards are widely accepted but as Sue says you will need cash to get into attractions, markets, cafes, some restaurants etc and definitely take some cash for your 3 days on Savaii as there are only 2 ATMs in Salelologa (where the ferry docks) and that's all for the whole island.

Hope this helps, have an amazing time in paradise.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samaon currency

Thanks again to the 2 very fast answers re money In Samoa. All the advice was great and I've sent your replies onto the rest of the group so we can all plan ahead. The forum is a great idea and I'm so glad a friend told me of its existence.

We are all looking forward to our holiday in the warmth and the sun.

Marg E

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samaon currency

You're welcome Marg. If you have any more questions you know where to find us now.

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Deb

Te Awamutu
Level Contributor
61 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samaon currency

Hello Deb

On reading your other answers, I was wondering about NZ$. We are going to Samoa in October and I was looking at getting Tala before I left, now I am inclined to use my eftpos card at the airport at the Westpac bank and getting the tala then. We come in on the 1am flight.

Thanks for you information it's very helpful

Regards

Linda

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samaon currency

You're most welcome Linda

My advice to anyone travelling anywhere o's is not to change their currency in their home country, the rates are appalling.

Have a fantastic trip

Manuia le aso

Deb

Te Awamutu
Level Contributor
61 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samaon currency

Thanks Deb

Dunedin, New Zealand
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Samaon currency

Hi Deb , I am going to Samoa on Saturday and was going to bring NZ$ to change at the airport but do you think it is a better rate using the ATM ?

Tony.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samaon currency

Malo lava Tony

Yes you will get a better rate at the Westpac ATM at the airport. Just turn right as you come out of the Customs Hall and you will see the ANZ and Westpac tellers, the ATM is hidden beside the Westpac teller.

What time are you arriving? If the Western Union office is open you will get an even better rate this is for cash though so you might want to take a bit of cash to change at any Western Union office in Apia.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Have a fantastic time

Manuia le po

Deb

Dunedin, New Zealand
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Samaon currency

Hi Deb ,

We arrive 12.45 A.M. so I guess the Western Union office will be closed .We are taking the ferry to Savaii the next day and wont be in Apia till the end of our holiday.

Regards

Tony.