We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be kind to your dogs

Which Apia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sawtell
Level Contributor
27 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Be kind to your dogs

The one thing that turns me off Samoa, and I've been there three times now, is the treatment of their dogs. Clean up your act guys, I read an article in your newspaper about the frequency of dog bites ,and the. Vet for was commenting , attributed most of these cases to abuse and poor treatment of your dogs.

Treat them better and do yourselves and tourists who like dogs a favour. I was glad to get home to see happy , well nourished dogs .

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be kind to your dogs

yes, this is a big concern, and i have visited 6 times, the first time we visited it was before the pacific games and there were heaps of maltreated dogs, and the next year we noticed that there were less, apparently at that time, so not sure if still happening, the vets were offering free de-sexing, and many dogs had to be put down

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be kind to your dogs

Malo lava

As a huge dog lover and as someone who has lived in Samoa for long periods of time I can only agree with you BUT at the same time I have to say that the majority of Samoan families treat their dogs well, they do not treat them as family as we do but they do not maltreat them. I have witnessed what I can call nothing but atrocities against dogs and have cried rivers because of it but fortunately this is a minority and unfortunately this is what the tourists see because most don't get to live in a village with real Samoans who do love their dogs. We trust them so much that we actually took our own dog with us for 6 months last time and he got on really well with our Samoan family's dogs and the other dogs in the village. He's a poodle so he was a novelty, so much so that if wild dogs saw him they turned tail and ran because they didn't know what he was!!! We took him into Apia most days and he was both laughed at and doted on.

The APS (Animal Protection Society) do the best they can and agree that the best course of action is education so they send out vets and vet nurses once a week to schools to teach kids that dogs are Gods creatures too and should be loved and that you'll get so much unconditional love from a dog if you treat him/her right. It's an uphill battle sometimes because some of these kids grow up witnessing their families abuse dogs but they seem to be making headway. Also, there is only 1 resident Vet in Samoa and she works fulltime in research and breeding so they are dependent upon volunteer Vets and I've seen them come from every corner of the world, sometimes they're lucky enough to have 2 but mostly just the 1 and he/she is run off their feet. They do have a free desexing period each July but with 1 Vet it's impossible to get to every village and most villagers can't get to the Vet but it is becoming more popular as the education program grows.

The wild/homeless dog situation is basically what tourists see and they are treated like some humans treat homeless people here in Aust and the rest of the world , it's a disgrace I know but it is the facts.

The reason why there were less dogs after the Pacific Games in 2007 Sue is that the Govt did a huge culling prior to the games both to protect tourists, athletes etc and also to put Samoa out there as the wonderful destination that it is without the black mark that the dogs would create. I really believe they need to consider doing this again, harsh as it may sound but much kinder to some of these starving and undoubtedly sick dogs.

Please don't believe that all Samoans mistreat their dogs. We were there when the tsunami happened in 2009 and went around Upolu for the APS with food for dogs that still had a home, dogs that had lost their families (one of the saddest sights I've ever seen) and assessing where the most need was both for food and finding new homes for these poor lost souls. Some of the families we came across who had lost their dogs, seen them swept away in the massive waves were totally devastated and some were actually taking those that no longer had their own family or home and giving them the home and love they needed.

It is a blight on the Samoan community but please know that everything that can be possibly done on an impossibly low budget is being done by the APS. If either my husband or I see someone abusing a dog we usually tell them that they are hurting one of Gods creatures and in a lot of cases that hits home as most Samoans are quite devoutly religious. It all takes time but I believe this next generation will go a long way to improving the situation.

I hope this sheds a little light, we are lucky enough to call Samoa our second home and as such we get to see a more up close and personal side of fa'a Samoa than most.

Manuia le aso

Deb

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be kind to your dogs

i agree, as just coming back from bangkok, i saw many mistreated dogs as well ( and i didint go to the zoo's as dont get me started on the drug animals for the benefit of the tourist, ) so this is not a problem isolated to samoa, and i have seen many happy dogs in samoa, yes they may not be treated like how we treat our pampered animals, but some dogs so look happy and well cared for.

hopefully the samoan gov will do something about it again, so the homeless and sick dogs xxx not just for the benefit of the tourist but for the benefit of the poor dogs

this is a hard one,

sue

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Be kind to your dogs

Pago has seen this problem since July, 1965.

It'll probably continue to be a problem until 2080!

Get use to it people.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be kind to your dogs

The problem occurs in most South Pacific countries but I don't be leave we have to "get used to it". I volunteer part time for the APS when we are living in Apia and go out to the schools, deliver dog food to those who do love their dogs but can barely feed themselves let alone their dogs etc.

As I said earlier, this next generation is changing, they are realising that puppies actually grow up whereas previously the infatuation over a puppy was lost when it became an adult dog, they now still love that dog as and adult.

Education is the key but it is very difficult on a very tight budget that's why my husband, myself and many other expats and palagi volunteer. It'll take time but it will change.

Is there something similar to the APS in Pago?

Manuia le aso

Deb

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be kind to your dogs

Sorry - believe not "be leave"

7. Re: Be kind to your dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Apia