We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Manono Island

Boston...
9 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Manono Island

We will be in Samoa for a week and considering a day trip to Manono. If you have been, how was it? How did you spend the day? Did you use a tour operator to arrange the day trip? Thanks for advice. my369

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Malo lava my369

I have extended family on Manono so I am a little biased. If you intend on staying the whole day walk the whole island (about . 2 hours) and you'll discover things you've never encountered before. Go for a swim or snorkel and a whole new world will open up to you. If you're lucky you'll come across a family that will offer to show you around and even ask you to to'onai (lunch) and you'll be in for a treat.

Manono is where you'll find Polynesian culture at it's most natural. All Polynesians are said to have come from Samoa and Manono is the starting point.

What you do "spending the day" is up to you. If you're into culture just talk to locals along the way otherwise enjoy what is literally paradise on earth\

You won't be lacking in things to do particularly if you make some friends with the locals. By the way Manono has only had electricity for 3 years so that should give you an idea how natural it is. Many people still don't have power so it ads to the charm

Enjoy Manono, you'll never find anywhere else like it in the world

Manuia le aso

Deb

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

I fogot to mention, agree on a price with the boatman who takes you to and fro. 70 tala should be enough for the return trip but 100 will probably be asked. Make sure you know where he will pick you up for the return trip.

Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Talofa Deb ! We will definitely plan a day trip there. Faafetai lava - Mary

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Malo lava Mary

Have an amazing time in Paradise, let us know how it went when you get home.

Fa soifua

Deb

Whangarei, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Kia ora Deb,

Can you suggest anyone from your extended family there who would be good to contact to host re seafood gathering,fishing etc. We are heading there in early August to film for a TV programme in NZ centred around the sea.

It can be people who gather seafood for the family or village,work commercially,or run a tourist operation. Any many types of seafood/methods of gathering as possible.

Any contacts you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Karen

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Malo lava Karen

It sounds like an exciting project and will be worthwhile for Samoa Tourism as a whole.

I think your best avenue is to contact Samoa Tourism Authority who will point you in the right direction. Another way would be to contact Sunset View Fales (the only accommodation provider to have rebuilt since the tsunami) on +685 45640 or email via the Samoa Hotels Association site -

samoa-hotels.ws/Sunset_View_FalesManono_Isla…

There is no direct email to Manono.

Individuals will probably not be able to organise what you need but you should be able to start the progresss with the above contacts.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how you go.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Malo lava all

I am trying to raise money for the ongoing rebuilding of Manono Island. There are still many people in dire straits and as Manono is in a way remote it doesn't receive the attention it deserves. Sunset View fales have rebuilt but they are presently the only accommodation option on the island. Tourism will be a big boost to Manono so we need to get people employed, another accommodation provider going and residents living a normal Samoan life.

For those of you that know and love Manono, you know how much they need outside help. It is truly the heart of Polynesian culture and it's hard to stand by watching it slip away. That said, I have entered a competition to get 2 lots of $AU5,000 to help in any way that is needed on Manono.

Whether you've been to Manono or not, it is a unique part of Samoa and it needs a boost. So please everyone, click on the following link and vote for my "Dream' to rebuild Manono. Money goes directly to the cause, I won't see a cent of it.

Fa'afetai tele lava

Manuia le aso

Deb

Auckland
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Hi Deb,

Please post the link for us to vote for your dream to "rebuild Manono"

Thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Here's the link ... still need a LOT of votes! Tai lava :o)

sunsuperdreams.com.au/dream/view/rebuilding-…

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Manono Island

Thanks Tina and dayslong. There was something wrong with either the site or my computer yesterday, it wouldn't accept the post when I edited it to put in the link and tried to resubmit it. I'm surprised it's actually here at all.

Manuia le aso

Deb