We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samoan Fales

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Samoan Fales

Our family (2 kids 12 and 16) is travelling to Samoa in November 2009 for lots of snorkelling, scuba and beach relaxation. Have been reading lots of reviews/forums and at this stage we are looking at a few days in Upolu and a few days in Savaii. Not sure about where to stay in Upolu but like the look of Tanu Beach Fales in Savaii. Are there shops handy for cold drinks (beer, wine, etc) that you can take back to your Fale and can you keep them cold? Or do you have to go to a bar/resort? (Nothing like sitting on the beach with a vino at Sunset!). Also can anyone comment on the food at Tanu Beach Fales? One fussy teenage child to feed! We are happy with the basic accommodation, but I'm a bit concerned about food and drink options.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Samoan Fales

Malo lava Donna and Dale

Fa'afetai tele lava mo le advice. We are here for 4 months and looking for somewhere different to go on Savaii so we might give it a go.

PS: Whereabouts do you live? When in Oz we live in Woolgoolga.

Fa soifua

Deb

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Samoan Fales

Hi Donna and Dale, we went to Samoa in June diddnt get over to Savaii, would like to do that next, could you tell me more about were you stayed and is there a website? thanks Christine

Wellington, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Samoan Fales

Talofa Christine...just noticed that last post not sure if it was answered by Donna & Dale, who we met at Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge (Asau, Savaii) in early November 2009! Sale (short for Saleimoa) & Rosie (the hosts) have only been in operation for about 7-8 months, but man they have done a lot, They are presently constructing a website (that's how new they are), but you can contact them easily via email vaimoana@ipasifika.net. They're pretty good at returning emails. All the reviews on this website about Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge have been excellent, but it is like one of the best kept secrets in Savaii! It is truly like a home away from home, but obviously it's in paradise! Our usual destinations were wiped out by the recent Tsunami, so we decided to explore the unknown on the other extreme end of Savaii...and what a gem of a find!

If you're looking for a place to relax and get away from it all, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We are headed back there (sooner rather than later!)..Manuia le aso...Voldi & Colleen

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Samoan Fales

Which property did you choose? Just curious because your situation sounds very similar to mine. I am looking at Savaii Lagoon or Tanu Beach. Two kids and would like to be able to walk to a local town from where we are staying.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Samoan Fales

Malo lava

Unfortunately there are not many places where you can walk to a local 'town' on Savaii unless you are staying in Salelologa where the wharf is that brings you from Upolu.

You could walk through local villages but there is not much in the way of shops except roadside stalls that sell fruit, drinks, snacks, alcohol. etc.

It really depends on why you want to walk to a local town.

Both Savaii Lagoon and Tanu are great places to stay with lots of activities in and around both properties.

If you wanted to go to town you could also get one of the colourful public buses in or a taxi would only cost around 60 tala.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Fa soifua

Deb

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Samoan Fales

Actually, roadside stall is exactly what I am looking for. I don't want to be stuck in an "all inclusive" resort. Looking for family fale by the beach, but during the day we can just take a walk and go by an ice cream down the street in "town."

Also, we arrive at 8pm at night. Do you think we should stay one night near the airport before we take off for Savaii the next morning? Any suggestions on where to stay. If it is interesting, we might stay two nights. Thanks. All of your posts are very helpful.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Samoan Fales

Malo lava

I'm glad you're just looking for ice cream, etc, there are plenty of roadside stalls everywhere in Samoa.

Because you arrive at 8pm the earliest ferry you will be able to get is the 8am the next day. There are several choices near the airport/wharf. Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort and Spa, beautiful setting, traditional Samoan decor and food, great staff, entertainment and rooms and a choice of 5 restaurants + a fantastic kids club and pool. Then there is Le Vasa a little further north but still close to the ferry and airport, you get your own private fale where you can just step straight out onto the beach, again in an idyliic setting and then, just a place to lay your head for the night and no longer is the much cheaper Airport Lodge, clean, nice staff and good food but nothing to do. It really depends on your budget so just google them and have a look, my pick would be Aggies. Other than that you would have to go to Apia for the night which is an hour from the airport and ferry.

Let me know if I can be of any more help, otherwise have a wonderful time exploring this amazing country.

Manuia le aso

Deb

18. Re: Samoan Fales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 06, 2010