We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

United Kingdom
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

Hi I am travelling to Apia in a few days time... anyone know what the internet access is like ?? I have heard that there is no broadband as yet ?

Where is the cheapest and most central location to use public internet, library or cafe ??

Also I know that my mobile from the UK and NZ can not be used... so what options are available ??

Many thanks in advance

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

No internet in the library so cafe is the only option! The internet can be pretty sketchy but the access at ipasifika is ok.

you might be able to use your phone if your connection is a partner of digicell, mobile phones have come leaps and bounds since they set up shop about a year ago. We left in January so I dont know what the story is now but it was getting better by the day.

You can hire cell phones in Samoa but you can buy really cheap ones too. Depending on how long you are there for NZ$40 for a phone can work out cheaper than hiring.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

Just heard there is a new internet cafe in town boasting the fastest connection in samoa. It is opposite the Lotomau Centre on Taufusi Road the one that runs up from the Clock tower past Mac Ds Same side as MacDs after the intersection. 2-50 tala for 15 mins 4-50 for 1/2 hr and 8 tala for an hour. Worth a try.

apia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

Heaps of internet cafés in Apia, and most have prepaid cards if you are opting to use the internet longer.

We do have broadband as well as fibre optic but people are not aware of these. CSL as well as SamoaTel does have broadband services.

For mobiles, it has to be a Digicel affiliate or if you have roaming international sim card

hope this email will assist you

thanks

Mua

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

Use the CSL cafe its right across the road from macdonalds and has the fastest service on island. If its busy there is also another cafe just across the road at the Lotomau centre. There are probably others but these are the two easiest accessible. If you are staying at a hotel they offer internet services in their "business centres" but it was very overpriced as in 5 tala for three minutes at aggies meanwhile the cafe lets you buy 30 minutes of online time for the same 5 tala.

I was able to use my mobile from the NZ it was from vodafone the key is to make sure your mobile fone is not LOCKED onto your home network and if you buy a fone whilst in Apia you can always use it when you get back home because their phones are not locked to a central user.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

We took our mobiles bought in Samoa (from Digicel) to NZ and then Singapore. Two could not be unlocked but the other two could. You can check whether yours can be unlocked on the net using the mobile number. It cost 70 NZD to get each phone unlocked.

Apia, Samoa
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

Samoa has broadband now - most of the internet cafe's should have it by now - up to 512kbit i believe. There's 2 internet cafes opposite McDonalds as mentioned in previous posts.

Cellphones .... if your phone doesn't work here/is locked to your sim i suggest you buy one. Go with Digicel - even though the local GoMobile has much better rates and better prices on phones, Digicel's coverage is so much more superior - not just the coverage area but also the quality of the coverage.

Brisbane
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

I stayed at Le Alaimoana Hotel & they have free broadband wireless internet for their guests. If you don't have a laptop they have one for you to use. It was great! No one else had that for FREE!

Mobile sim cards are Samoan Tala $30 from DIGICEL so you can use your own mobile & top up credit as needed - better than getting a hire phone.

8. Re: Mobile Phone service and Internet cafe's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 10, 2009